Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Schools
All Others Concerned
- In accordance with Republic Act No. 9211 entitled “An Act Regulating the Packaging, Use, Sale, Distribution and Advertisements of Tobacco Products and for Other Purposes”, also known as “Tobacco Regulation Act of 2003”, the Department is mandated to integrate the adverse effects of cigarette or tobacco smoking, including their health, environmental and economic implications into the Basic Education Curriculum (BEC).
- This move is in line with the initiative of the government to promote a healthful environment, inform the public of the health risks and protect the youth from being initiated to cigarette smoking and tobacco use.
- Under Sec. 35 of the said law, the Department shall integrate instructions to the elementary and secondary curricula of all public and private schools nationwide. The entry points in the existing curriculum in both levels shall be identified by the Bureau of Elementary and Secondary Education to ensure integration into the different subjects.
- The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Special Projects is hereby directed to monitor compliance with this Order.
- Immediate dissemination and action on the contents of this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: