PASIG CITY, April 7, 2017 – The Department of Education (DepEd) joins the nation in celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Philippine Veterans Week on April 5-11 and Araw ng Kagitingan on April 9 with the theme, “Ika-75 Taon: Parangal sa mga Beterano, Tungo sa Bayan na Nararapat sa mga Pilipino, mga Pilipino na Nararapat sa Bayan.”
To ensure the celebration’s success, the DepEd and the Department of National Defense (DND) organized the following activities:
- On April 5, DepEd Taguig will participate the Sunrise and Wreath-Laying ceremonies at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City. There will also be a Review of Tribute in Honor of the Veterans at the Philippine Army Headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City.
- On April 7, DepEd Cavite will participate the Tribute to All Filipino Veterans in Corregidor Island.
- On April 9, DepEd Bataan will participate the Araw ng Kagitingan at Mt. Samat Shrine in Pilar, Bataan. President Rodrigo Duterte will attend as Guest of Honor.
- On April 10, DepEd Tarlac will participate the Paggunita sa Capas at the Capas National Shrine in Tarlac for the wreath laying, ceremonial bell tolling, and tribute to the veterans.
- On April 11, DepEd Taguig will participate the Sunset Ceremony at the Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig City.
Thousands of participants, composed of Grades 5 and 6 students, teachers, parents, and officials of DepEd Regional and Division Offices, are expected to join the said activities including officials and guests from the government and non-government agencies.
DepEd and DND also launched the National Photography Competition and the National Essay Writing Contest for students in Grades 7, 8, 9 and 10 in public high schools nationwide.
Criteria for the photography contest are the following: Adherence to the theme and objective – 25%; Creativity and originality – 30%; Composition – 25%; and Visual impact – 20%. Meanwhile, the essay writing criteria are: Substance and originality – 50%; Style and language – 30%; and Organization – 20%.
Aside from certificates, winners of the first prize will receive P20,000 cash; while second and third prize winners will each receive P15,000 and P10,000, respectively.
The DepEd-External Partnerships Service/Special Events Unit led the conduct of the contests and announced this year’s winners:
National Essay Writing Contest:
- First Prize – Sunshine B. Botor (NCR)
Title: Ang Tunay na Wagi
School: Pedro E. Diaz High School, Muntinlupa
Coach: Jeynelie M. Rubio
- Second Prize – Regina April G. Apalla (CALABARZON)
Title: Tinig ng Tagumpay
School: Balian Integrated National High School, Laguna
Coach: Yolanda B. Ilao
- Third Prize – Francesca Angela S. Napa (Bicol Region)
Title: Mapagpalayang Dahas
School: Jose Panganiban National High School, Camarines Norte
Coach: Cristina B.Leano
National Photography Competition:
- First Prize – Kaleiah Dominique T. Dacdac (Ilocos Region)
Title: Baligi Daguiti Bannuar Ti La Union
School: La Union National High School, San Fernando
Coach: Michael Ramirez
- Second Prize – Evette Ann D. Ruedas (Region VIII)
Title: A Trail of Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
School: Baybay National High School, Baybay City
Coach: Maria Caridad Ruedas
- Third Prize – Arnie V. Peralta (NCR)
School: Navotas National High School, Navotas
Coach: Felix Ternida
The observance of Araw ng Kagitingan is pursuant to Executive Order No. 203, series 1987 and Presidential Proclamation No. 466, series 1989.