DO 28, s. 1986 – Redefining the Functions and Responsibilities of the Technical Panel for Agricultural Education
To: Bureau Directors
Chief of Service and Heads of Units/Centers
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Pursuant to the policy of the National Government in enhancing the development of the lower, middle and higher levels of agricultural manpower to support and accelerate rural transformation, agro-industrialization and improvement or national agricultural productivity, and as provided for by law, the functions and responsibilities of the Technical Panel for Agricultural Education (TPAE) as created by D.O. 3a, s. 1977, is hereby redefined to conform to the current socio-economic development and challenges in the country.
- Central to these developmental efforts particularly in the education sector is the mandate for an integrated system of education aimed to achieve equity, efficiency and high quality in the institutions so that together they will provide a complete set of program offerings that meet both the national and regional development needs of the country. Among other objectives the national development program calls for the rationalization and upgrading of agricultural education so that the number and quality of agricultural graduates would match the requirements of the economy and of the agricultural and food industries. Agricultural education in this contest shall mean organized and institutionalized instruction relating to professional scientific, technological and vocational development in the fields of animal science, fisheries, forestry and other related sciences. It shall likewise include in-service training programs on specific agricultural vocations and short practical courses for farmers.
- In order to relate agricultural education to the national needs more effectively, there shall be relevant policies as well as minimum standards and rules for the establishment and operation of agricultural education programs in all educational institutions. Such policies and standards should cover qualitatively and quantitatively the programs, educational inputs, outputs, management and other related areas of the national agricultural education system.
- Subject to the authority of the Minister of Education, Culture and Sports, the TPAE, as a research, technical consultative, advisory and policy recommending body to the Minister, through the Board of Higher Education as provided for by Batas Pambansa Blg. 232, shall have the following functions:
- To study and review the overall philosophy and goals of agricultural education in relation to the regional, national and international developments in agriculture and industry and formulate alternative directions and plans;
- To identify the agricultural education, training and employment needs of the country in consultation with the NEDA, agricultural schools, colleges, universities, end-users and other concerned agencies and instrumentalities and assess if such needs are being effectively and efficiently met;
- To undertake policy research and recommend measures and/or criteria of improving the curricular programs through minimum educational, management and performance standards, allocation of resources including loans and grants applicable to all agricultural education programs in public and private institutions at the secondary and tertiary levels;
- To provide technical assistance and leadership in collaboration with the academe and appropriate government ministries/agencies in the planning, development and implementation of institutional programs at the national, regional and/or provincial levels;
- To assist the Minister of Education, Culture and Sports in the implementation of policies, rules and standards through a national system of voluntary accreditation of agricultural education programs to be developed by the accrediting agencies in collaboration with this panel and through such other means or strategies;
- Within approved budgets, to receive and/or recommend grants for the funding of research and development work on educational programs, resources, instructional methodologies, and other educational technologies following the existing research accounting and auditing rules and in collaboration with the regional national or international network of research and development centers, councils or organizations; and
- To do such other acts and to approve and make such expenditures as may be deemed necessary and proper for the attainment of the objectives of this Order in accordance with existing laws and rules.
- To effectively carry out the above stated functions, the TPAE shall be composed of the following members who shall be appointed or designated by the Minister of Education, Culture and Sports with a three-year tenure on a staggered basis without prejudice to reappointment:
- The Director of the Bureau of Higher Education, as ex-officio Chairman;
- One outstanding scientist, educationist or practitioner from each of the fields of Animal Science, Crop Science, Agricultural Engineering, Fisheries, Forestry, Veterinary Medicine and Agricultural Teacher Education who shall be nominated by agricultural education faculties, scientific or professional groups.
- A representative from the Professional Regulation Commission; and
- A representative from the Ministries of Agriculture and Food and Natural Resources.
- A secretariat with staff on permanent status under the Office of the Minister, headed by an executive director shall be provided and maintained to support the technical panel. The services of a pool of experts/consultants/resource persons on full-time or part-time status who may be organized into technical committees will likewise be provided and maintained, to be either detailed from existing government institutions or agencies or funded from appropriations that may be availed of.
- Funding for the operation of the Technical Panel and the Secretariat and its activities as already provided shall thereafter be made a regular appropriation under the Office of Minister in the succeeding annual general appropriation acts.
- This Ministry Order shall take effect immediately.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Reference: Department Order: (No. 3a, s. 1977)
Allotment: 1-3-4–(D.O. 1-76)
To be indicated in the Perpetual – Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES
Course of Study, COLLEGIATE
Course of Study, SECONDARY