June 24, 1994 – DO 43, s. 1994 – New Requirements for Issuance of Permit to Operate the Midwifery Course
To: Bureau Directors, Regional Directors and Schools Superintendents
Presidents, Chartered State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Quoted hereunder are pertinent provisions and implementing rules and regulations of R.A. No. 7392, otherwise known as The Philippine Midwifery Act of 1992, for the information and guidance of all concerned:
“SEC. 14. Schools of Midwifery – To be recognized as a duly accredited and legally constituted institution for midwifery shall have a permit from the Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS). The school shall have at least fifty (50) maternity beds and affiliated with an accredited hospital duly accredited by an authorized government agency or instrumentality.
SEC. 15. Qualification of Faculty – The faculty shall have academic preparation appropriate to teaching assignment, as follows:
- At least a bachelor’s degree holder or Doctor of Medicine (M.D.);
- Proof of competence in the field of specialization assigned to him; and
- A registered nurse or registered midwife in the Philippines with at least one (1) year of satisfactory teaching experience or one (1) year of efficient performance in maternity ward/community; Provided, that a registered midwife may be allowed to follow-up student midwives in the community ward provided she has at least two (2) years of experience in the area of assignment and has undergone training in the supervision of students.”
- Rule 3 of the implementing rules and regulations published in the Official Gazette on January 25, 1994 (vol. 89, 12/27/93) titled Maternity Beds and Affiliations states, School/College must own a hospital with at least fifty (50) maternity beds shall be given until the end of 1998 to comply with the minimum requirements.
- Because of the foregoing provisions of the law, it is requested that all midwifery schools issued permit to operate the course be re-evaluated.
- Midwifery schools which do not meet the above provisions shall be informed to either comply with the requirements immediately or be required to phase out effective SY 1998-1999.
- This Order takes effect immediately.
Allotment: 1-3-4-(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, COLLEGIATE
RULES and REGULATIONS