February 17, 2012 DO 16, s. 2012 – Guidelines on the Implementation of the Mother Tongue-Based- Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE)
February 17, 2012
DO 16, s. 2012
Guidelines on the Implementation of the Mother Tongue-Based- Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE)
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- Starting School Year (SY) 2012-2013, the Mother Tongue-Based-Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE) shall be implemented in all public schools, specifically in Kindergarten, Grades 1, 2 and 3 as part of the K to 12 Basic Education Program. The MTB-MLE shall support the goal of “Every Child-A-Reader and A-Writer by Grade 1.”
- The Lingua Franca Project (1999-2001) and the Lubuagan Project (1999 to present) have provided valuable inputs in the implementation of the MTB-MLE. Nine hundred twenty-one (921) schools including those for children of indigenous people have been modeling MTB-MLE with support from the following:
a. Basic Education Assistance for Mindanao (BEAM);
b. Third Elementary Education Program (TEEP);
c. Translators Association of the Philippines (TAP);
d. Save the Children, and the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL).
- Eight (8) major languages or Lingua Franca and others as cited below shall be offered as a learning area and utilized as language of instruction for SY 2012-2013:
a. Tagalog; g. Hiligaynon;
b. Kapampangan; h. Waray;
c. Pangasinense; i. Tausug;
d. Iloko; j. Maguindanaoan;
e. Bikol; k. Maranao; and
f. Cebuano; l. Chabacano
- Likewise, a team of trainers for each region composed of education supervisors coming from the different divisions has been organized.
- Enclosed are the guidelines on the nationwide implementation of the MTB-MLE for the K to 12 Program.
- For more information, all concerned may contact:
Dr. Rosalina J. Villaneza
DepEd Central Office
DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City
Telephone No.: (02) 633-7202
E-mail Address: email@example.com
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
RULES & REGULATIONS