DO 33, s. 1985 – Study Load of Graduate Students
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- It has been pointed out by the Philippine Association for Graduate Education (PAGE) that there is at present no definite standard in terms of number of units as maximum load of graduate students. MEC Order No. 7, s. 1982, the Policies and Standards for Graduate Education, is silent about it. These results in the disparity of the number of units as maximum load allowed by different institutions for their students.
- Per recommendations of the PAGE and the Bureau of Higher Education, MECS, the maximum load of graduate students both in the master’s and doctoral levels in the regular semestral terms and in summer sessions shall be as follows:
Regular students …………. 12 units
Working students ………… 9 units
The graduate school dean, however, has the discretion to limit the load of certain students based on his evaluation of their capabilities and/or their peculiar circumstances, or to allow highly exceptional students to carry three more units beyond the maximum load, provided that the latter case shall be subject to the approval of the Minister.
- Regular students include those who are employed but released by their employers on scholarship and those on study leave.
- This Order supersedes all previous Order and Circulars on study load.
- Compliance with this Order by all concerned is required.
Reference: MEC Order No. 7, s. 1982
Allotment: 1-3-4—(D.O. 1-76)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
RULES AND REGULATIONS
SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATIONS