DO 49, s. 1985 – Amended Rules on Grant of Permit and Recognition for Upgrading Courses for Seafarers
August 19, 1985
DO 49, s. 1985
Amended Rules on Grant of Permit and Recognition for Upgrading Courses for Seafarers
To: Bureau Directors
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Letter of Instruction (LOI) No. 1404 of the President states, “the Philippines is determined to maintain its position as a major supplier of seafarers to world shipping.” It sates further, that “the employment of Filipino seafarers constitutes a major source of foreign exchange earning of the country.”
- To this end, said LOI established the Maritime Training Council (MTC), which is assigned the task to “develop, formulate and prescribe standards of training for seafarers x x x.” It appears that the MTC is still formulating such standards.
- In the meantime that such standards are not yet formulated, grant of permit and recognition to operate seafarers’ courses, such as Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention, Personal Survival Technique, Survival Craft or Lifeboat Handling, First Aid at Sea, Ship Medicine, and other similar upgrading seafarers’ courses shall be decided by the Minister. Hence, the pertinent provisions of Department Order No. 60, s. 1975 and MECS Order No. 23, s. 1984 are hereby amended accordingly.
- For the information and guidance of, and strict compliance by all concerned.
- This Order takes effect immediately.
References: Department Order No. 60, s. 1975
MECS Order No. 23, s. 1984
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 1-76)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE