DO 37, s. 1986 – Amendments to MECS Order No. 26, s. 1983 (Policies and Standards for Teacher Education)
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Deans, College of Education
- The following are amendments to MECS Order No. 26, s. 1983, Policies and Standards for Teacher Education, approved by this Office upon recommendation of the Philippine Association for Teacher Education (PAFTE) and the Bureau of Higher Education (BHE):
Paragraph one of said Order shall read as follows: “The inclosed set of policies and standards which includes the new Bachelor of Secondary Education (B.S.Ed.) curriculum and the curriculum for the Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.E.Ed.), with additional areas of specialization, embodies the revised general principle and guidelines for the establishment and operation of teacher education programs.”
Paragraph three is entirely changed to read as follows: “The implementation of the new Bachelor of Secondary Education (B.S.Ed.) shall be in accordance with the following schedule:
First Year – School Year 1986-87
Second Year – School Year 1987-88
Third Year – School Year 1988-89
Fourth Year – School Year 1989-90
Section 3, Article V of the Inclosure to said Order shall read as follows: “A total of 144 academic units is required for graduation for the B.E.Ed degree. However, the teacher training institution may offer any or all areas of specialization as listed in Appendix B, subject to approval by the MECS Order No. 26, s. 1983, part of which is inclosed in this Order as Appendix A.”
Section 4, Article V of the Inclosure shall read as follows: “The minimum total academic units for the B.S.Ed degree, with its different majors, ranges from 161 to 176. The 1986 Bachelor of Secondary Education (B.S.Ed) curriculum is in Appendix C.”
Sub-Section 3.1, Article X of the Inclosure shall read as follows: “Entrants to teacher education programs shall have obtained the percentile rank in the NCEE set by the Ministry for teacher education courses.” The present requirement is 55 percentile.
- Other guidelines for the implementation of the B.E.Ed and B.S.Ed curricula are hereby given:
2.1 The offering of areas of specialization in the B.E.Ed program is optional and should depend upon the school’s capability.
2.2 Teacher education institution are given the leeway to decide whether to offer the area of specialization subjects after the 144 units have been earned or simultaneously with the other subjects for the course or during the summer terms.
2.3 For financial and administrative considerations similar subject offerings have been arranged for the areas of specialization in the B.E.Ed program and the major areas in the B.S.Ed program.
- Course descriptions for the areas of specialization and majors in different subject areas are found in Appendix D.
- Every teacher education institution should give these amendments to MECS Order No. 26, s. 1983 the widest publicity possible among the academic community and its clientele.
- This Order supersedes all existing rules and standards related to teacher education.
Incl.: As stated
Reference: MECS Order No. 26, s. 1983
Allotment: 1-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE