DO 8, s. 1987 – Values Education Program in Maritime Education
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Pursuant to the values education thrust of the Ministry, Character Formation Programme for Filipino Seafarer (CFPFS) is integrated with Aptitude for Service I and Aptitude for Service II in all maritime courses for the deck and engine officers and ratings, as per MECS Memorandum Nos. 70, s. 1985 and 58, s. 1986, as proposed by the Apostleship of the Sea and the Philippine Association of Maritime Institutions (PAMI) through the Inter Agency Technical Committee on Maritime Education (IATCOME).
- Aptitude for Service I and II and Values Education shall be taken in the first two semesters of the first year of any maritime course and furthermore shall be treated as a laboratory or practicum course for three hours and accredited on a one (1) unit course.
- In line with this program, the Philippine Association of Maritime Institutions (PAMI) in cooperation with the Bureau of Higher Education is conducting a seminar-workshop through the Apostleship of the Sea-Manila for all maritime faculty to qualify them to handle the course. Teaching materials are readily available at the Apostleship of the Sea-Manila, CBCP Bldg., General Luna St., Intramuros, Manila (P.O. Box No. 2513, Manila).
- All maritime institutions offering B.S. Marine Transportations Two-Year Associate in Maritime Engineering, and the 10-month Basic Seaman Course are urged to adopt the Character Formation Programme for Filipino Seafarers.
- Strict compliance with and immediate dissemination of the Memorandum to all concerned is desired.
References: MECS Memorandum Nos. 70, s. 1985 and 58, s. 1986
Allotment: 1-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE
SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATIONS