DO 39, s. 1987 – Optional Religious Instruction under Paragraph 3, Section 3, Article XIV or the 1986 Constitution
To: Regional Directors
- The 1986 Constitution provides for religious instruction of students in public elementary and high schools within the regular class hours, at the option expressed in writing by the parents or guardians, without additional cost to the Government. (Sec. 3, Article XIV)
- In compliance with this Constitutional mandate, schools superintendents are requested to ask their principals to:
- Arrange existing regular class hours to accommodate the teaching of religion within the regular class hours; and
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of appropriate forms which parents and guardians may use to signify their conformity or refusal to have their children or ward receive religious instruction.
- Religious denominations should submit their request for time allocation for optional religious instruction to the principal of the public school concerned.
- Religious instruction shall be given for not more than 90 minutes a week within the regular class hours.
- Religious instructors shall be designated or approved by the religious authorities to which the children or wards belong.
- Students not receiving religious instruction should be under the supervision of their advisers.
- It is desired that this Order be immediately disseminated to all concerned.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Reference: BPS Circulars: Nos. 34, c. 1950 and 30, s. 1953
Allotment: 1-2–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: