DO 99, s. 1987 – Schools National Games Committee
October 6, 1987
DO 99, s. 1987
Schools National Games Committee
Bureau Directors/Cultural Agency Director
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- “Sports is a celebration of peace.” This is the idea behind every sports event, from ancient times to this day as we face the advent of the twenty-first century. In ancient times, the brief season of the Olympic Games was observed with the cessation of all fighting and hostilities.
- It would seem that at this time when the country is beset by sporadic outbursts of hostilities and conflict, the holding of national games hopefully will bring about the beginnings of peace.
- In this connection, a Schools National Games Committee is hereby constituted with the following members.
Undersecretary Minda C. Sutaria – Chairman
Director Aparicio H. Mequi – Vice Chairman
Asst. Sec. Jesus T. Manipula – Member
Asst. Sec. Felix P. Santos – Member
Director Pedro O. Sanvicente – Member (Representing the Regional Directors)
Director Modesto G. Boquiren – Member (Representing the National Capital Region)
Dr. Frederick S.O. Pada – Member (Representing the PACU and SCUAA)
Supt. Florencio M. Buen – Member (Representing the Schools Superintendents)
Father Ernesto Javier – Member (Representing the UAAP and Private Schools)
Asst. Supt. Erlinda G. Lolarga – Member (Representing the Handicapped Students)
- The Committee will develop the fundamental bases for policies and guidelines relevant to the conduct of the Palaro. It is pertinent to reiterate the following principles which have been previously enunciated to guide the Committee in its work:
- The Palarong Pampaaralan shall provide equity of opportunity for participation of athletically-talented youth of the country;
- The Palarong Pampaaralan shall inculcate moral, ethical and spiritual values among participants;
- The Palarong Pampaaralan shall provide for the technical training of DECS physical education teachers and coaches in the management of sports competitions;
- The Palarong Pampaaralan shall promote appreciation of our cultural heritage and traditions;
- The Palarong Pampaaralan shall be managed in consonance with the instruction of President Corazon C. Aquino to observe “efficiency, honesty and frugality” in the conduct of government affairs; and
- The Palarong Pampaaralan, while recognizing “the diversity of national qualities,” shall promote national integration and solidarity, and the Olympic doctrine: “SPORTS IS PEACE.”
- Expenses of the Committee shall be charged against the funds of the Bureau of Physical Education and School Sports (BPESS), subject to the usual accounting and auditing rules and regulations
- For the information, implementation, and compliance of all concerned.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Allotment: 1-2-3-4-(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: