DO 57, s. 1988 – Guidelines for the Allocation of Teacher Positions under the Free Secondary Education Program SY 1988-1989
To: Regional Directors
- Effective immediately, the following guidelines shall be observed in the hiring of new teachers in the public secondary schools in Accordance with the provisions of Republic Act No. 6655, Executive Order No. 189, and DECS Order No. 40, s. 1988.
- All public secondary schools whether nationalized by virtue of individual legislation including technical vocational schools offering secondary courses or newly nationalized as provided for under Republic Act No. 5655, shall be entitled to additional teacher positions based on actual need as indication by school enrolment and existing teacher positions. National high schools with approved staffing patterns shall first fill up vacant teacher positions and, only if authorized positions are inadequate, should requests for additional positions be made.
- In the organization of additional classes, earlier guidelines on class sizes prescribed under DECS Order No. 40, s. 1988 for the implementation of the free secondary education program for school year 1988-89 shall be complied with the prescribed class size is 40-50 students/class which may be increased to 50-60 students/class if space will allow.
- In the distribution or authorized additional teacher positions for SY 1988-89, priority should be given to temporary teachers hired after July 1, 1987 and whose salaries and cost of living allowances are paid by the local government units.
- The selection and hiring of teachers shall take into account the specialization (major) of the applicant and the subjects in the secondary curriculum.
- The request for additional secondary teacher items shall be submitted by the school principal to the DECS Regional Office thru the School Division Superintendent, duly supported by the necessary school date on enrolment and number of classes by curriculum year, existing teachers and estimated teacher requirements for SY 1988-89, with comparable date for SY 1987-88. The School Division Superintendent or his representative shall verify the accuracy of the data provided in the request. DECS Regional Offices shall submit to DECS Central Office on or before July 11, 1988 a report on the distribution of the teacher positions and additional teacher requirements beyond the initial allocation, if any for consolidation/evaluation and submission to the Department of Budget and Management. Requests for additional teacher positions shall be supported by a school by school analysis of teacher requirements.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
References: DECS Orders: (Nos. 40 and 44, s. 1988)
Allotment: 1-2-3-4–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, SECONDARY
RULES & REGULATIONS