DO 19, s. 1989 – The President’s Summer Youth Program
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
Superintendents of Technical and Vocational School
- The President of the Philippines has decided to launch a continuing and comprehensive Summer Youth Program starting this year. The Primary purpose of this program is to involve high school, college and vocational students as well as the out-of-school youth (OSY) in constructive and productive activities that will provide them opportunities to participate in national development.
- The Program was officially launched by the President on March 3, 1989.
- It is expected that, since the clientele of this program are students and OS’s under the overall supervision of the DECS, all line officials concerned at all levels are enjoined to extend to all participating agencies utmost cooperation, especially in encouraging and facilitating the participation of all students who choose not to enroll in summer classes.
- For this purpose, all heads of concerned institutions, public and private, shall enjoin every teacher to encourage their student to choose an activity of interest to them. Such activities will be announced by the Office of the President through the various media. Students interested in the Summer Work Appreciation Program for Students (SWAPS) of the Department of Labor and Employment may inquire in the DOLE Regional Office in their respective regions. The list of DOLE Regional Offices is inclosed. Those interested in other components of the SYP may contact the respective offices in charge of them.
- Incentives shall include academic credits in lieu of appropriate subjects in the curriculum for which such credits may apply. A system of accreditation, copy inclosed, has been prepared by the Bureau of Higher Education. Other incentives will be in the form of cash payments for services rendered.
- The DECS Coordinating Committee, to be headed by the Undersecretary for Higher Education, is hereby designated to consist of the Directors of the BSE, BHE, BTVE, BNFE and BPESS and two Assistant Secretaries, with a secretariat whose members shall be designated from each of the Bureaus.
7. This Order shall take effect immediately.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Incls.: As stated
Allotment: 1-2-3-4–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES