DO 22, s. 1989 – Guidelines in the Transfer to DECS of the Management of Secondary Schools of State Colleges and Universities (SUCS)
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Pursuant to Section 9 of Republic Act 6645, otherwise known as the “Free Secondary Education Act of 1986” , this Office issued DECS Order No. 5, s. 1989 which spelled out the guidelines and procedures in the implementation of Section 7 of said Act.
- To efficiently and effectively implement the provisions of DECS Order No. 5, s. 1989 as regards secondary schools of state colleges and universities, the following guidelines are hereby promulgated:
- The Department of Education, Culture and Sports will start implementing secondary schools of state colleges and universities (SUCS) which are situated outside of the school campus starting school year 1989-1990. This will be, however, clarified by a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the condition that the budgets, plantilla and present salary rates will be maintained and transferred intact to the DECS.
- In area where there are existing high schools that can absorb the entering freshmen, secondary schools located within the school campus shall start the gradual phase down effective the 1989-1990 school year. Starting this school year, those SUCs with teacher education programs shall only enroll the appropriate number of first year high school students for a laboratory school. They shall, however, continue admitting the second, third and fourth year students.
- In rural areas where there are no nearby high schools, DECS will take measures to provide high schools so that the phase down can begin in 1990-1991 school year.
- It is desired that this Order be immediately disseminated for the guidance and compliance of all concerned.
(SGD.) LOURDES R. QUISUMBING
Reference: DECS Order: No. 5, s. 1988
Allotment: 1-2-3-4–(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual – Index under the following subjects:
Course of Study, COLLEGIATE
Course of Study, SECONDARY