DO 111, s. 1989 – Policies and Standards for the Basic Sciences
December 4, 1989
DO 111, s. 1989
Policies and Standards for the Basic Sciences
To: Bureau Directors
Presidents, State Colleges and Universities
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- The inclosed set of policies and standards embodies the specific requirements of the four (4) basic sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics) and the science and math components of teacher education program based on MECS Order No. 35, s. 1984, “Policies and Standards for Arts and Sciences”, a general requirement of all science and arts courses.
- The development of these policies and standards was initiated by the Bureau of Higher Education, DECS and the Science Education Institute, DOST, with the able assistance of members of professional associations as Biology Teachers’ Association (BIOTA), a group of recognized chemistry faculty, Mathematical Society of the Philippines (MSP), Samahang Pisika ng Pilipinas (SPP), and a selected group for Teacher Education Programs.
- As approved by this Office, this set of standards comes in two (2) components. The first contains the provisions applicable across all programs covering authorization; goals and objectives; organization and administration; faculty; instructional standards; and research. The second embodies the specific requirement of the four (4) basic science courses and the science and math components of teacher education which are composed of standards for physical facilities, faculty and instruction.
- All concerned are required to prepare and make the necessary adjustments of their programs and facilities based on the inclosed guidelines and standards.
- Widest dissemination of the contents of this Order is desired of all institutions offering the basic science courses and teacher education courses with majors in sciences and mathematics.
- This Order supersedes all existing policies and standards related to basic sciences and the science and math components of teacher education and will take effect beginning school year 1990-91.
- Compliance with this Order by all concerned is enjoined.
Incl.: As stated
Reference: MECS Order No. 35, s. 1984
Allotment: 1—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
COURSE OF STUDY, COLLEGIATE
SOCIETY OR ASSOCIATIONS
UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES