DO 69, s. 1990 – Optional Religious Instruction under Paragraph 3, Section 3, Article XIV of the 1987 Constitution
To: Bureau Directors
President, State Colleges and Universities
Vocational School Superintendents/Administrators
- The 1987 Constitution provides for religious instruction of students/pupils in public elementary and high schools within the regular class hours, at the option expressed in writing by the parents or guardian, without additional cost to the Government. (Sec. 3, Article XIV.)
- In compliance with this Constitutional mandate, schools superintendents are enjoined to ask their principals to:
- arrange existing regular class hours to accommodate the teaching of religion within the regular class hours; and
- assist in the preparation and distribution of appropriate forms which parents or guardians may use to signify their conformity or refusal to have their children or wards receive religious instruction.
- Religious denominations should submit their request for time allocation for optional religious instruction to the principal within the regular class hours.
- Religious instruction shall be given for not more than 90 minutes a week within the regular class hours.
- Religious instructors shall be designated or approved by the religious authorities to whom the children belong.
- No students/pupils shall be allowed or permitted to attend religious instruction classes without the written request or permission of his/her parents or guardian.
- Inclosed are sample forms of the request or permission for optional religious instruction to be accomplished by the parents or guardian.
- Principals are enjoined to adhere to the above- mentioned requirements vis-à-vis religious instruction on public schools.
- Immediate dissemination of this Order is desired.
(SGD.) ISIDRO D. CARINO
Incls.: As stated
Reference: DECS Order: No. 39, s. 1987
DECS Memorandum: No. 231, s, 1987
Allotment: 1-2-3-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: