DO 27, s. 1994 – Nationwide DECS Activities in Connection with the 1994 Independence Day Celebration
To: All Regional Directors and Division Superintendents
Heads of State Colleges and Universities and Public Schools
Heads of Private Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Under Administrative Order No. 25 signed by President Ramos on April 21, 1994, a National Committee to take charge of the celebration on June 12, 1994 of Independence Day was created, with the DECS Secretary as Chairman and the DND Secretary as Vice-Chairman. Subsequently, Executive Order No. 159 was issued on May 24, 1994 requiring the display of the National Flag in all buildings, establishments, and homes every day during the period from May 24 to June 12, 1994 from sunrise to sunset.
- In compliance thereof, and as a manifestation of respect for the National Flag, all DECS facilities and all public and private schools including state colleges and universities, shall fly the National Flag during the period mentioned, including non-working days. The head of every school shall make sure that the flag flown is neither faded in color, nor frayed, and should preferably be new.
- Similarly, short programs should be held during school days prior to June 12 reminding the school children of the significance of Independence Day, the National Flag, and the National Anthem.
- At 7:00′ o’clock in the morning on Sunday, June 12, 1994 short, simple, and solemn programs shall be held in every public and private school throughout the Philippines, which shall in all cases include the mass singing of the correct and original version of the National Anthem by all those present and the raising of the National Flag, and may be augmented by short speeches relevant to the occasion. Similar ceremonies are to be held in the local government buildings, but such other ceremo¬nies should not serve as a substitute for those in the schools. While attendance of school children will not be mandatory, the presence of a token contingent of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts would be desirable.
- The Independence Day parade at the Luneta will be televised nationwide beginning at 3:00 o’clock in the afternoon on June 12.
- This Order shall be given immediate and wide dissemination. Regional Directors shall ensure the participation of tertiary institutions, while division superintendents shall be held primarily responsible for the participation of elementary and secondary schools.
Reference: DECS Memorandum No. 145, s. 1993
Allotment: 1-2-3-4 (M.O.1-87)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
CELEBRATIONS & FESTIVALS