January 16, 1997 – DO 2, s. 1997 – Redefining Roles of Staff Bureaus and Centers
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Superintendents/District Supervisors
Heads of Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- The tasks of achieving access and equity in basic education and of improving its quality are a responsibility that must be shared by the entire agency. Both the central office and the field offices consisting of the regions, divisions, districts and schools must clearly understand their varying but complementary roles in attaining the goals of education through a twin strategy of decentralization and modernization.
- The roles of the staff bureaus and centers are hereby redefined towards that of (a) setting up education standards; (b) formulating education policies; and (c) evaluating and monitoring compliance thereof. Beginning 1997, the annual work program of each staff bureau and center shall include the conduct of research (pilot) projects and/or research studies to be undertaken in-house or out-sourced. Approval of the annual work pro¬gram by the Secretary upon the recommendation of the supervising Undersecretary shall be a requirement prior to implementation.
- For 1997, the annual work program of each staff bureau and center shall be submitted not later than January 31, 1997 with an accompanying attachment of the budgetary requirements as indicated in the 1997 financial plan. For 1996, another submis¬sion shall be made not later than February 18, 1997. Thereafter, the preparation of the annual work program and financial plan must commence in October and be completed in December to meet the next year’s annual budget call and deliberations.
- An inventory of education standards and education policies promulgated for the past five (5) years since 1992 and a summary report of completed as well as pending research (pilot) projects and studies shall be made and submitted to the Office of the Secretary through the Programs Committee Management Staff (Attn: USEC Erlinda C. Pefianco) not later than February 28, 1997.
- For strict and immediate compliance.
DECS Order: No. 60, s. 1995
Allotment: 1-2-4—(M.O. 1-87)
To toe indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES