August 21, 1997 – DO 60, s. 1997 – Putting Emphasis in the Teaching of Geography in all Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
To: Undersecretaries and Assistant Secretaries
Private Elementary and Secondary School Principals
- It is the policy of the Department of Education, Culture and Sports to adhere to the constitutional mandate of inculcating patriotism and nationalism among the studentry. Basic to this is a complete understanding and thorough knowledge of Philippine history, geography, government, culture, and contemporary events.
- In line with this mandate, all educational agencies particularly those in the regional, divisional and school levels are urged to devote special attention in the teaching and learning of social studies particularly Philippine geography considering the unsatisfactory performance today of the studentry in DECS-sponsored government examinations.
- The study of Philippine geography shall focus on physical geography and at the same time introduce sociological and historical uses of geography. All classrooms/school libraries shall have on display the Philippine Map/World Map.
- Varied activities may be undertaken to arouse interest, encourage studies and develop skills in Philippine geography. Among these activities are:
- field trips;
- conduct of practical map examination, map study, map reading proficiency and map work;
- observance of Geography Consciousness Week; and
- holding of lectures, symposiums, contests and demonstration lessons on geography-related issues/topics.
- For strict and immediate compliance.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: