Private Elementary and Secondary School Principals
1. Rationale. Through the years, the Department of Education, Culture and sports has always been a significant and an inevitable partner of other government agencies and other private organizations in the implementation of programs and projects that greatly benefit the youth and student sector mainly because of our captive clienteles. Thus, it is undeniable that there is an increasing demand for youth and student participation in school and even out of the school boundaries in terms of co-curricular or extracurricular activities. Nonetheless, it is the case that there is no single core unit in the Department which handles their activities which are considered as the other part of holistic and quality education.
2. Creation. Pursuant, therefore, to the mandate of Article II, Section 13 and Article XIV, Section 1. Paragraph 1 of the 1987 Constitution and in line with the current need to focus on the affairs of the youth and students and consolidate its participation in nation-building, the Department of Education, Culture and Sports hereby creates the DECS Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs
3. Functions. The DECS Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs shall:
a. Implement, complement, support and promote all youth and students development programs of the national government and the Department in coordination with the Bureau of Secondary Education, Bureau of Elementary Education, Bureau of Non-Formal Education and existing DECS center and offices;
b. Propose and suggest, after consultation, priority actions of the Secretary on matters relative to students and co-curricular affairs;
c. Centralize the Inter-agency youth and students involvement of the Department in such Inter-agency bodies such as, but not limited to, the Kabataan 2000 Program, National ASEAN Sub-Committee on Youth, and others;
d. Participate in the formulation of the Medium-Term Youth Development Plan and monitor the implementation of the programs and projects contained thereof involving and/or affecting the Department;
e. Establish and maintain partnership with other government agencies, non-government organizations, local and international youth and students organizations, youth-serving organizations and other youth and students group;
f. Strengthen and support the scouting movement of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines and the Girl Scouts of the Philippines, and other youth and student programs which focus on character development;
g. Assist and/or represent the Secretary in his functions relative to youth and students affairs; and,
4. Budget. Operational and other expenses shall be charged against the Office of the Secretary or from other sources within the Department.
5. Composition and Supervision. The DECS Center for Students and Co-curricular Affairs, which shall be under the Office of the Secretary proper and under the supervision of the Undersecretary and Assistant Secretary designated for the purpose, shall be composed of an Executive Officer and Technical Staff.
6. Constitution. The present DECS Youth Task Force shall constitute the DECS Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs.
7. Others. All DECS Offices and attached agencies are requested to lend full support to the Center.
8. Immediate and wide dissemination of this Order is hereby enjoined.
RICARDO T. GLORIA
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects: