February 11, 2000 DO 10, s. 2000 – Implementation of the Journalism Program as an Integral Part of Communication Arts (English and Filipino) Effective SY 2000-2001
February 11, 2000
DO 10, s. 2000
Implementation of the Journalism Program as an Integral Part of Communication Arts (English and Filipino) Effective SY 2000-2001
To: Regional Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- Section 2 of R.A. 7079 (An Act Providing for the Development and Promotion of Campus Journalism and for Other Purposes) states: “It is the declared policy of the State to uphold and protect the freedom of the press even at the campus level. In furtherance of this policy, the State shall undertake various programs and projects aimed at improving the journalistic skills of students and promoting responsible and free journalism”.
- One effective avenue for enhancing the journalistic competence of students is the purposeful development of these writing skills in the curriculum, specifically in the communication arts subjects where writing is taught as a basic skill.
- Inasmuch as the language writing competencies reflected in the Philippine Secondary Schools Learning Competencies (PSSLC) are included among the macro skills, the implementation of the Journalism Program as an Integral part of the English and Filipino Communication Arts curriculum is in order.
- The grade in Communication Arts (English and Filipino) will be based on certain criteria weighted accordingly as follows:
Periodical Test ….. 25%
Projects ….. 15%
(Theme writing, Home Reading Report, Mini Research Work, Book Review/Critique, Journalistic Writing,
Class Redtation/lnteraction ….. 30%
(Group Discussion, Role Play/SImulatlon, Debate/Argumentation, Extemporaneous Speech,
Quizzes ….. 20%
Unit/Summative Test ….. 10%
- All prior DECS issuances which are inconsistent with this Order are hereby amended and/or rescinded.
- Immediate and prompt dissemination of this Order to aU concerned is desired.
DECS Order No. 94, s. 1992
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual index under the following subjects:
Learning Area, ENGLISH and FILIPINO