DO 4, s. 2002 – Operationalizing the Philippines-Australia Project on Basic Education Assistance for Mindanao (PA-BEAM)
Bureau/Center and EDPITAF Directors
Regional Directors XI, XII and ARMM Secretary
Schools Division Superintendents (XI, XII, and ARMM)
1. As part of the overall national development agenda to improve the management, access and quality of basic education, the Philippines – Australia Project on Basic Education Assistance for Mindanao or PA-BEAM, Phase 1, is hereby operationalized.
2. In particular, the PA-BEAM, Phase 1 will cover Regions XI, XII and the Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) and will be implemented over a period of two (2) years, i.e., 2002-2003.3. The PA-BEAM, Phase /, which is funded by a grant from the Government of Australia through the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAlD), aims to assist the Philippine Government in improving the quality of basic education in Regions XI, XII and ARMM and respond to local educational needs, particularly those of the indigenous cultural communities and MADARIS.
4. A Project Coordinating Committee (PCC) is hereby constituted to provide top-level policy guidance and program directions. The PCC will be tasked primarily to recommend to the DepEd Secretary who is concurrently the Project Director, project- specific strategies and policies that will strengthen project governance. The PCC will be chaired by the DepEd Undersecretary for Programs with membership from collaborating agencies / offices (see list in Annex 1). It will report to the Secretary / Project Director on a quarterly basis or as needed.
5. A Regional Project Advisory Committee (RPAC) shall be organized in regions XI, XII and ARMM. The RPAC will provide advice to the PMU on region specific policies / strategies affecting project implementation which the latter, in turn, when relevant will bring before the PCC. The RPACs will be chaired by the respective Regional Directors with membership from concerned project stakeholders at the regional level. The Regional Directors and ARMM Secretary are authorized to initiate organization of their respective RPACs. The RPAC shall regularly report to the PCC.
6. In line with our decentralization thrust, the Australian Managing Consultants (AMC) and the Philippine Project Personnel will be based in Davao City. The Project Management Unit (PMU) shall be located in Region XI, Davao City. The PMU in Davao will be responsible for: (i) day to day project operations, (ii) disbursement and liquidation of project funds, and (iii) planning, implementing, and monitoring all project activities in the three focus regions. The key staff of the PMU-Davao are hereby appointed:
ARD Isidro S. Valeroso, Jr. – Project Manager
Mr. Antonio G. Ordovez, Jr. – Assistant Project Manager
The other PMU staff shall be hired by the PMU-Davao in accordance with approved contractual positions by DBM. Dr. Valeroso shall be on full-time detail; hence he will continue to draw his salaries and entitlements as ARD for DepEd Region XI. All other staff shall draw their salaries from the project budget. The signing authority of the BEAM-Project Manager shall be in accordance with DECS Office Order dated March 8, 2001 and DECS Order No. 29, s.2001 dated July 13, 2001.
7. The overall project coordination shall be the responsibility of EDPITAF. The PROBE-HIP-VGF Project Coordinating Unit based at EDPITAF, headed by Mrs. Nenita S. Crisologo shall also serve as the BEAM-PCU. The PCU shall be responsible for liaising with AusAID Manila and national government agencies. It shall cause the transfer of project funds, and the preparation of overall project monitoring and evaluation reports. It shall report regularly to the PCC.
As statedReference: DECS Order: No. 29, s. 2001Allotment: 1—D.O. 50-97)To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects: