DO 38, s. 2002 – Organization of Preschool Classes under the Preschool Service Contracting Scheme SY 2002-2003
August 23, 2002
DO 38, s. 2002
Organization of Preschool Classes under the Preschool Service Contracting Scheme SY 2002-2003
To: Regional Directors
Schools Division Superintendents
Chiefs of the Elementary Education Division, DepEd RO
1. Present statistics show that only a very small percentage of the five year old population has access to preschool education. The Department of Education, recognizing the importance of preschool education, is implementing the Preschool Service Contracting Scheme. This is an alternative delivery system that aims to provide preschool experiences to prospective Grade I children in fifth and sixth class municipalities, urban slums and relocation areas.
2. The program, piloted in SY 1997-1998 for a period of six (6) months, provided preschool experiences to children in the disadvantaged areas whose parents could not afford to pay for such services. Monitoring data revealed that through the program, children experienced a smoother transition from home to formal schooling. Children developed self-confidence and readiness for school.
3. The program is now on its sixth year of implementation by October, SY 2002-2003. In view of this, all regions/divisions are requested to submit a list of enrollees who are prospective Grade I pupils for next school year 2003-2004. Private preschools and nongovernment organizations shall be contracted as service providers.
4. For effective implementation of the Program, please refer to the Guidelines for the organization of Classes.
5. Immediate and wide dissemination of this Order is desired.
RAMON C. BACANI
DECS Order: No. 43, s. 2001
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index
under the following subjects: