DO 44, s. 2003 – Clarification on Applicability to Private Schools of DepEd Order No. 39 on School Opening and Advocacy on SARS and Other School Health Issues
To: Undersecretaries/Assistant Secretaries
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
Vocational School Superintendents/Administrators
- In view of numerous queries received by the Central Office from private schools and the media on the applicability of DepEd Order No. 39 to private schools, the following clarification is being made:
- Private elementary and secondary schools are advised to follow the schedule of school opening stated in DepEd Order No. 39 inasmuch as the advocacy campaign to be implemented in the various schools divisions will also involve private schools. Their school heads/health personnel will be invited to participate in the information and education campaigns and training programs planned by the DepEd in coordination with the DOH and the health personnel of local government units.
- Recognizing, however, that some private schools may have already taken the initiative of orienting and training their teachers, other school personnel and parents or plan to undertake such activities on their own and ahead of the DepEd schedule, such schools may start regular classes as early as June 9 provided they certify that they have already put in place or plan to put in place the necessary measures or mechanisms to cope with the potential dangers brought about by SARS, dengue and other diseases which could affect our schoolchildren.
- Such measures shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Identify students and teachers who have traveled to and/or transited from SARS affected countries; and proof of date of arrival and medical clearance should be required to be submitted by them to the school health personnel/principal;
- Screen body temperatures twice daily and detect symptoms of sore throat, cough, fever and difficulty of breathing among the students;
- Monitor personal hygiene of schoolchildren;
- Conduct clean-up drive to eradicate breeding places of mosquitoes and improve environmental sanitation;
- Implement the Preventive Alert System as embodied in DepEd Order No. 34.
- The certification should be submitted to the concerned DepEd field office and should describe what measures or mechanisms are set for prevention of SARS and other diseases in the schools. The DepEd regional/division offices are directed to monitor compliance by private schools with their commitments.
- For immediate dissemination and guidance.
Reference: DepEd Order: No. 39, s. 2003
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: