DO 63, s. 2003 – General Guidelines on Random Drug Testing of High School Students
August 4, 2003
DO 63, s. 2003
General Guidelines on Random Drug Testing of High School Students
To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Secondary Schools
- Pursuant to Section 36(c) of Article III of RA 9165 otherwise known as the “Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002,” random drug testing of students in public and private secondary, tertiary/higher educational institutions and vocational-technical schools shall be conducted starting September 2003.
- The enclosed general guidelines, approved by the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) through Board Regulation No. 6 dated August 1, 2003, shall serve as the major reference in the implementation of the random drug testing program. For other provisions of the law, reference shall be made to DepEd Order No. 5, s. 2003 re: the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of RA 9165.
- All Regional Directors (RDs), Schools Division/City Superintendents (SDSs) and school heads are instructed to oversee the implementation of the random drug testing program, specifically the conduct of the following activities in all high schools:
- Dissemination of the guidelines on random drug testing to the teachers, students, and parents;
- Creation of the school’s Selection Board that will take charge of the random sampling of students to be tested;
- Designation of a drug counselor to provide guidance and counseling services to students found to be drug users;
- Coordination with other concerned government agencies on the proper/appropriate implementation of procedures/mechanics set in the guidelines; and
- Ensuring confidentiality of test results.
- It must be emphasized that the costs of drug tests shall be borne by the government.
- For more information, please contact Dr. Thelma G. Santos, Director III, School Health and Nutrition Center at tel. nos. 632-13-61 to 72 locals 2154; 2094 and 633-72-46.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the fallowing subjects:
RULES & REGULATIONS