DO 38, s. 2004 – Economy Measures on Local Travel of DepED Officials and Employees (Per Diem)
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Pursuant to Executive Order No. 298 dated March 23, 2004, which has been circularized under DepED Memorandum No. 199, s. 2004, existing allowable travel expenses of government personnel regardless of rank and destination shall be in the amount of Eight Hundred Pesos (PhP800.00) per day.
- In this connection, immediate implementation of the increased rates effective March 23, 2004 is hereby authorized. The new rate will be applied starting June 1, 2004. Any retroactive claims of the differential from March 23, 2004 to May 31, 2004 shall be paid as funds become available.
- While there has been an increase in travel allowance, the MOOE budget of the Department is still based on the reenacted 2003 national budget and therefore has not taken into account the higher rates for travel allowance.
- Given such funding constraints on appropriations for traveling expenses, it is of paramount importance that Heads of Offices exercise strict controls on local travels being undertaken, such as:
- Limit travel and limit the attendance of personnel to trainings, seminars, workshops and other activities to those which are essential to performing the agency’s mandate, including those conducted by private organizations;
- Plan travels in advance to take advantage of discounted rates being offered by airline companies;
- Use economy class fares for air travel and realistic taxi rates to/from residence;
- Ensure that participants to trainings, workshops and conferences where registration fees are charged for board and lodging do not claim per diems except for travel time;
- Limit the claim for per diems of training staff for the duration of the training activities to per diems for travel time; and
- Allow claims for reimbursement in excess of the allowable travel expenses only in cases where they are absolutely necessary and highly justifiable and supported by official receipts.
- For the guidance and compliance of all concerned.
Reference: DepED Memorandum: (No. 199, s. 2004)
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: