DO 15, s. 2005 – 2005-2006 School Readiness Assessment for All Grade One Entrants
April 20, 2005
To: Regional Directors
Chiefs, Elementary Education Division Schools
- One of the major goals of the 2015 Education for All (EFA) is the expansion of the coverage and improvement of the quality of Early Childhood Care and Development (ECCD) programs in the country. The present government administration in its Ten-Point Agenda has declared a policy calling for the standardization of preschool and day care centers.
- The Department of Education (DepED) in support of this thrust will administer School Readiness Assessment to All Grade One Entrants, effective SY 2005-2006. The School Readiness Assessment (SRA) is a tool to determine the readiness of Grade One entrants in tackling formal Grade I work.
- The School Readiness Assessment Tool will be administered by Grade I teachers assisted by Grade II and III teachers one week before the opening of classes. An orientation on the administration of the School Readiness Assessment tool and interpretation of results will be conducted by Preschool Coordinators trained by DepED Central Office staff.
- To ensure that the grouping of pupils will be ready by the first week of classes in June, a timetable for SRA activities is suggested below:
Activity Dates a. Orientation of Examiners – May 16-20, 2005 b. Reproduction of Assessment Tool – May 2-13, 2005 c. Test Administration – May 23-June 3, 2005 d. Analysis/Scoring/Interpretation of Results – June 6-10, 2005 e. Submission of Test Results to the Division – June 17-30, 2005
- The result of the said assessment will be the basis for grouping Grade I pupils. All pupils found not ready will undergo the 8-Week Curriculum to prepare them for formal Grade I work. For children found ready, the teacher will use the 8-Week Curriculum as a refresher of their readiness skills acquired. There is no prescribed time for its use, rather each individual teacher will determine how much of the 8-Week Curriculum his/her class needs before proceeding to formal Grade I work.
- Each division shall be provided with the hard copy of School Readiness Assessment Tool and Manual of Administration for reproduction, the cost of which shall be charged against local funds.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: