DO 1, s. 2007 – Strengthening the Information Communication Technology (ICT) Governance of the Department of Education Amended by
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- The Department has, through the years, initiated and implemented ICT programs and projects both in Basic Education, Governance and Management. These ICT related activities are however done independently by several offices with minimal integrative platform that would lead to a more cohesive ICT program of the Department. This set-up has made’ it harder for the Department to harmonize its ICT initiatives.
- In line with the thrust of the Medium Term Philippine Development Plan (MTPDP) 2004-2010 and the Ten-Point Agenda of the National Government to promote the use of information and communication technology (ICT) to support the teaching and learning process, the following bodies are hereby created/strengthened:
- ICT GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE
- ICT TECHNICAL COMMITTEE
- ICT Unit (ICTU)
- Regional ICT Coordinators
- Virtual Communities
- The Executive Committee shall act as the ICT Governance Committee, and shall be the approving body of all ICT policies, plans, programs and projects. It shall set the standards and policies pertaining to ICT in basic education and governance and provide overall direction of ICT programs and projects in the Department.
- The ICT Technical Committee (ICT-TC) organized by virtue of Office Order dated 28 July 2006 shall provide overall management, coordination, and unification of all ICT Programs and Projects in basic education only based on an institutional Information Systems Plan for Basic Education (ISPBE). Therefore, it shall:
- review policies, standards and guidelines on the use of ICT in basic education and governance recommended by the ICTU and recommend the same to the ICT Governance Committee;
- evaluate ICT proposals in terms of adherence to the MTPDP and the DepED ISPBE, budgetary requirements and sustainability;
- lead research, innovations, and development of ICT in education;
- evaluate ICT programs and projects for basic education as proposed by other government and non-government organizations, based on the DepED ISPBE and recommend actions taken thereon;
- network with government and non-government organizations and agencies on the implementation of ICT programs and projects in the basic education sub-sector; and
- be organized as follows:
Chair : Mr. Romeo Glenn B. Sumido, Jr., Chief of Staff
Co-Chair : Ms. Maria Victoria D. Abcede, BSE
Members: Mr. M. Paul C. Soriano, OIC, Technical Service
Mr. Elmer M. Guizano, OIC, ICTU
Ms. Angelita M. Esdicul, BEE ‘
Ms. Georgia U. Usares, BALS Mr. Deogracias B. Genito, Jr. OPS Mr. Eric U. Labre, IMCS
Others (designated Project Leaders of ICT Project Implementation Teams)
- To provide technical support in the formulation and review of ICT Policies, Standards, Programs and Projects of the Department, the Educational Technology Unit (ETU) created by DepEd Order No. 69, s. 1999, shall be strengthened to act as a technical services support unit and renamed as the Information and Communication Technology Unit (ICTU). More specifically the ICTU shall:
- provide technical support in the execution of ICT programs, projects, and services proposed by the end-users that has been approved by the ICT Governance Committee;
- propose policies, standards and guidelines on the use of ICT in the department and submit the same for the approval of higher ICT bodies; and formulate the same for other ICT initiatives other than those geared directly to the teaching-learning process;
- implement ICT technical management system and strategies;
- provide technical support to users of ICT tooft and infrastructure;
- review ICT programs and projects proposed by other government and non-government organizations’and agencies other than those geared directly to the teaching-learning process based on the DepED ISPBE;
- be in charge of operation and maintenance of the Local Area Network (LAN) facilities and the proposed ICT Network Infrastructure; and
- provide web management services.
- The ICTU shall be composed of the following staff and shall report directly to Mr. Mari Paul C. Soriano, OIC, Technical Service:
Elmer M. Guizano : Officer-In-Charge, ICTU
Ferdinand San Jose : Asst. Officer-In-Charge, ICTU
and Planning and Standards
Joseph Nathaniel Santiago : Network Management
Michael Viola : Network Management
Joven Viacrusis : Applications Development
Jonathan Fontanilla : Applications Development
Maiy Jane Garcia : Users Support Help Desk
As soon as hiring policies permit and as the need arises, the ICTU may propose the hiring of additional. personnel and/or the reassignment of existing ICT-related personnel from other units of the Department.
- Regional and Division ICT Coordinating Committees shall also; be organized and tasked to coordinate and evaluate local ICT programs and projects for basic education and governance guided by the DepED ISPBE. The proposed local ICT programs and projects shall then be referred to the ICTU and ICT-TC for evaluation and to the ICT Governance Committee for approval. The Regional or Division ICT Coordinating Committees shall be organized as follows:
Chairperson: Regional Director or Division Superintendent
Vice-Chairperson: Regional or Division ICT Coordinator
Members: Supervisors of English, Science, Mathematics, and Technology and Livelihood Education Region or Division Accountant Region or Division Supply Officer Others as may be needed
- Virtual Communities shall be formed from existing groups composed of educators and education stakeholders for the exchange of ideas, information, and expertise. These communities shall serve as a resource pool of for the ICT programs and projects of the Department.
- Lastly, a Project Implementation Team shall be formed for each ICT project. The Project Team shall initially be composed .pf the end-users who conceptualized the project and representatives from the ICTU who shall provide technical guidance to strengthen the proposed project. For projects covering teaching-learning processes, a representative of the ICT-TC shall be included in organizing the Team. The finalized proposal shall then be endorsed by the end-users to the ICT Technical Committee who shall evaluate and recommend the same for the approval of the ICT Governance Committee.
After the conclusion of the bidding process, the vendor awarded with the contract shall be integrated in the Project Team during the implementation of the project. Each project team’s existence shall be co-terminus with the particular project for which it was created.
- All previous issuances inconsistent with this order are hereby rescinded.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is desired.
Reference: D.O. 69, s. 1999 and Office Order dated 28 July 2006
Allotment: 1-(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: