DO 50, s. 2007 – Revised Guidelines on the Suspension of Classes and Work in the Government During Inclement Weather
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- In order to improve coordination among agencies and timely announcements on the suspension of classes and work in the government during inclement weather, Memorandum No. 07, s. 2006 entitled “Suspension of Classes and Work in Government Offices during Inclement Weather” was issued to the public by the National Disaster Coordinating Council.
- The experience during typhoons “Florita” and “Glenda” wherein timely announcements of the suspension of classes and work in the government was made a day before was done by the Department of Education and the Office of the President through the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES), saved the schoolchildren and the government workers from being caught in the middle of heavy rains and floods.
- Furthermore, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA), with its improved capability in weather forecasting can now provide more accurate and reliable information on the amount of rainfall in specific areas. This information provided concerned agencies basis to execute prompt decision for the safety of the general public.
- In view of this, the National Disaster Coordinating Council issued a Memorandum dated June 14, 2007 reiterating the dissemination of paragraph 3 of Memorandum No. 07, s. 2006 which states among others “In order to improve the coordination among agencies concerned, particularly in the announcement and dissemination to the general public on information related thereto, concerned agencies are advised to adhere to the procedure described in the enclosed process flow. Suspension of classes and work in government offices must be announced Not Later Than (NLT) 10:00 p.m. the previous day to give the public enough time to prepare accordingly. ”
- However, other provisions in DepED Order No. 28, s. 2005 which are not in conflict with the NDCC guidelines shall remain in force.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 28, s. 2005)
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
BUREAUS & OFFICES