DO 68, s. 2007 – Reducing Costs Associated with Attendance in National Conferences, Seminars and Trainings
To: Bureau Directors
Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- It has been observed that numerous conferences, seminars and trainings are conducted on a national basis, thereby entailing large costs for travel and transportation, particularly for those coming from distant locations. In many cases, participants resort to solicitation of funds from local officials, congressmen, and other sources just to be able to fund these costs.
- In view thereof, the following measures shall be adopted to minimize the expenses associated with these national activities:
- National conferences, seminars and trainings shall be held on a very selective basis, limited only to those requiring representation from all regions/divisions to ensure the attainment of objectives;
- DepED Central Office units should closely evaluate requests coming from associations of different groups of DepED personnel, professional organizations and other organizers for participation on official business and recommend approval for only those that clearly and directly promote the interests of the Department and its programs. Those responsible for training should minimize the holding of national training programs;
- To the extent possible, such activities shall be conducted on a division, regular or cluster (several regions) basis. Resource persons or trainors should be the ones to travel from one area to another instead of the participants since the former are small in number compared to the latter. Coordination with local DepED offices for the services of a local secretariat or a support group should be undertaken;
- To preserve the non-partisan character of DepED, individual solicitation of funds from local politicians/officials is strongly discouraged. Should there be a need to source funding from outside DepED, written project proposals justifying the attendance in the activity and the expenses to be funded should be submitted. These should be reviewed and endorsed by the regional director, division superintendent or district supervisor, depending on the proposed source of funding. Travel reports should also be submitted to the sponsor after the trip describing among others, the lessons/insights learned from the activity; and
- The use of information and communication technologies should be maximized in the course of undertaking training programs or holding meetings on a distance mode.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: