May 8, 2008 DO 34, s. 2008 – Mandated Thrusts, Programs and Activities of the Supreme Student Government
To: Regional Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Secondary Schools
- The Department of Education (DepED) announces the Mandated Thrusts, Programs and Synchronized Schedule of Activities of the Supreme Student Government (SSG).
- The SSG’s thrusts shall focus on the following
- establishment of Federations of Supreme Student Governments in the division, regional and national levels as ready mechanisms for student consultations and as sources of policy recommendations on issues and concerns that affect them;
- full adoption and implementation of the Standard Constitution and By-laws pursuant to DepED Order No. 43, s. 2005 by all public secondary schools;
- enhancement of the participation of students in recognized co-curricular activities;
- full activation of the Coordinating Council of Campus Co-Curricular Organizations as mandated in Article XII of the SSG Standard Constitution and By-laws pursuant to DepED Order No.43, s. 2005;
- subject to existing guidelines on voluntary contributions, a collection of not more than Fifty Pesos (PhP50.00) for SSG Developmental Fee may be made to fund its programs, projects and activities for youth empowerment and development;
- establishment of the Division, Regional and National Advisers Associations as support groups for the implementation and monitoring of the Supreme Student Government and the Student Government Program;
- recognition and awarding of outstanding SSG Organizations,
Officers and Advisers through regional and division-led initiatives;
- conduct and monitoring of synchronized Supreme Student Government elections and the requisite turn-over of responsibilities and school-based training of newly-elected Supreme Student Government officers;
- observance of pertinent celebrations and other campaigns, including and most especially the Anti-Smoking Week every 3rd Week of November through school-led initiatives; and
- compliance with the mandated projects of the Supreme Student Government as indicated in Section 8, Article X of the Constitution and By-Laws pursuant to DepED Order No. 43, s. 2005 such as:
- Brigada Eskwela
- Reading and Other Tutoring Services
- Peer Counseling
- Anti-Drug Abuse Education
- Leadership and Capacity-Building Trainings
- Career-Guidance Seminars
- Environmental Awareness and Tree-Planting/Growing Campaigns
- Smoke Free School Campaigns
- The Supreme Student Government aims to lay the groundwork for unity and cooperation among students by providing them a venue where they can improve their leadership abilities. It also seeks to train students to become better members of the society with the ideals and principles of participative democracy. More importantly, it intends to harness the student government as a partner in achieving quality education and academic excellence.
- All Regional Directors, Schools Division/City Superintendents, Student Government Program Regional and Division Coordinators, School Principals and SSG Teacher-Advisers are tasked to support the activities and intensify the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Supreme Student Government and the Student Government Program.
- At the national level, the Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (CSCA) is in-charge of the management, supervision and coordination of the activities of the Supreme Student Government and the Student Government Program. For more information, please get in touch with Mr. Joey G. Pelaez, CSCA Executive Director at the Ground Floor, Mabini Bldg., DepED Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City or thru telefax nos. (02) 631-8495 or (02) 636-3603, or website: www.deped-csca.com or email: email@example.com.
- The Synchronized Schedule of Activities and the Guidelines in the Collection and Disbursement of Funds are attached as Enclosures 1 and 2, respectively.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Memorandum: No. 233, s. 2007
Allotment: 1- -(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: