Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Under DepED Memorandum No. 291 dated June 13, 2008, the general guidelines for the implementation of the six (6) hours of actual classroom teaching of public elementary and secondary teachers and the specific guidelines to be formulated in the school level for the remaining two (2) hours to complete the eight (8) hours of work, have been promulgated.
- In view of requests for clarifications as to the implementation of the provisions of said Memorandum and reports of non-compliance or different interpretations at the school level as to its correct application, the following additional guidelines/clarifications are hereby promulgated:
- The six (6) hours of actual classroom teaching shall cover the full teaching load of a teacher as indicated in the class program. As described in DepED Memorandum No. 291, s. 2008, teaching loads including advisorships and/or special assignments for the entire school year combined shall be considered as one teaching load;
- The time interval between actual classroom teaching shall be counted as part of the two (2) hours spent for teaching- related activities except lunch breaks and recess periods;
- Teachers who have rendered the six (6) hours of actual classroom teaching duly reflected in their daily time cards shall be deemed to have completed the required daily working hours and must not be declared to have incurred undertime in the report of attendance and must not be subjected to salary deductions by the concerned payroll services unit; and
- The vacation service credits to be granted in lieu of additional compensation or overtime pay for actual classroom teaching in excess of six (6) hours of actual classroom teaching and for work performed in excess of eight (8) hours done within the school premises, shall be exclusive of the fifteen (15) days limitation under DepED Order No. 53, s. 2003.
- It is reiterated that the mechanism for the additional two (2) hours work done by teachers outside of the school premises shall be agreed upon by the principal with the teachers, parents and students, preferably through the School Governing Council or any established mechanism for school-community partnership.
- The School Head shall submit a written report to the Civil Service Commission (CSC) Field Office, the concerned COA Auditor and the Division Office. Schools Division Superintendents shall closely monitor and validate compliance to the agreed scheme of implementation.
- All pertinent provisions of DepED Memorandum No. 291, s. 2008 shall remain in force.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
References: DepED Memorandum: (No. 291, s. 2008)
and DepED Order: (No. 53, s. 2003)
Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: