Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
- The initial guidelines on the selection, promotion and designation of school heads under DepED Order No. 85, s. 2003, with subsequent revisions under DepED Order No. 42, s. 2007 provide, among others, that aspirants for Principalship must pass a qualifying test in order to be considered for promotion to Principal I positions.
- Please be reminded that substitution for the test of any training previously authorized pursuant to DepED Order No. 29, s. 2004 (Addendum to DepED Order No. 85, s. 2003) is no longer allowed as such had expired one year after the implementation of DepED Order No. 85, which was on November 17, 2003.
- The National Educators Academy of the Philippines (NEAP) has announced the conduct of the 2009 National Qualifying Examination for Principals. The scope, locations of testing centers and other specific requirements are contained in DepED Memorandum No. 97, s. 2009. It is emphasized that only those with experience of at least five (5) years in the aggregate as Head Teacher, Teacher-in-Charge, Master Teacher and Teacher III are qualified to take.
- Hence, passers of this qualifying examination, including – those who qualified in the tests previously administered by the regions shall form pool of qualifiers, from which shall be drawn those who will undergo the training for Principalship and eventually be appointed to vacant Principal I positions.
- In this connection, Schools Division Superintendents shall ensure that only those who passed the qualifying examination and have undergone the required training are included in the selection line-up of candidates for promotion to Principal I positions.
- Regional Directors are enjoined to monitor the compliance of the Schools Division Superintendents to the requirements of appointing only passers to the Principalship test.
- Any Schools Division Superintendent determined to have appointed non¬qualifiers and other officials and personnel who have violated the provisions of this Order shall be dealt with appropriate sanctions after due process.
- This Office has requested the Chair of the Civil Service Commission (CSC) to look into this matter to ensure compliance with the specific requirements for appointment to Principal I positions.
- Wide dissemination of and compliance and with this Order is directed.
References: DepED Memorandum: (No. 97, s. 2009); DepED Order: (Nos. 85, s. 2003; 29, s. 2004; and 42, s. 2007) Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
APPOINTMENT, EMPLOYMENT, REAPPOINTMENT