June 4, 2009
DO 56, s. 2009
Immediate Construction of Water and Hand Washing Facilities in All Schools for the Prevention of Influenza A (H1NI)
To: DepED ARMM Regional Secretary
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Regional/Division Physical Facilities Coordinators
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- Fully aware of confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) cases in the country and that schools can be a major source of transmission of the virus, immediate measures need to be undertaken to prevent its spread and other infectious diseases in schools.
- Relative to this, all schools, regional and division offices are required to take immediate actions as follows:
- Assessment of the availability of water resources at the school level. The Division shall ensure availability of running water and soap in all schools. If running water is not available, storage of clean water in a clean container/drum may suffice.
- Construction for common hand washing facilities in schools to be sourced from Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) or School Building Repair and Maintenance Scheme (SBRMS) funds or from any available local funds. For this purpose, a special design of lavatory counter and cost estimates are enclosed for reference. Implementation of this project shall be subject to the guidelines for utilization of MOOE and SBRMS funds.
- The facilities shall be made available immediately or within one week upon receipt of this Order.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Memorandum: No. 238, s. 2009 Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: