Directors of Services/Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary Schools
- The Department of Education (DepED) in support to the country’s commitment to the Education For All (EFA) Goal of Expanding Early Childhood/Preschool Education, hereby issues the following revised guidelines for the organization and/or implementation of Preschool Education classes/programs starting School Year (SY) 2009-2010 and the subsequent school year thereafter:
- General Provisions
- Elementary schools with existing preschool classes, regular and DepED subsidized (formerly PTCA-initiated) shall continue to organize and shall provide physical facilities either by utilizing the existing and/or those available in the community per DepED Order No. 49, s. 2008;
- Children who will be 5-year old by the opening of classes in June until October of the same year are eligible for enrolment;
- No amount shall be collected from parents during enrolment and anytime during the school year pursuant to DepED Order No. 19, s. 2008;
- Curriculum Standards for the 5-year old shall be utilized by the preschool teachers in the conduct of preschool classes;
- Schools with permanently deployed preschool teachers shall continue to organize two (2) classes to be handled by one (1) teacher for morning and afternoon sessions;
- Provision No. 6 of DepED Order No. 57, s. 2007 shall be applied in case a teacher has only one (1) preschool class to handle. The teacher shall handle another class in a nearby school to complete the required six (6)-hour teaching load;
- The new allocation of 750 Teacher I positions for preschool classes for FY 2009 shall be deployed immediately. Any deviation from the proposed allocation shall be submitted to the Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE) for approval. In no case shall the preschool positions be utilized to augment regular teacher items;
- Teachers handling preschool classes which were previously organized/initiated by the Parent-Teacher Community Association (PTCA) shall continue to be assigned as contractual preschool teachers provided they meet the requirements preferably those who have early childhood teaching experience for at least two (2) years, until they are given permanent items;
- In case there is an increase of preschool classes, report shall be submitted immediately to the Bureau of Elementary Education for funding and approval. DepED Order No. 57, s. 2007 shall be followed in hiring additional contractual preschool teachers;
- Honorarium for contractual teachers shall be downloaded from the DepED Central Office per DepED Order No. 49, s. 2008; and
- If there are trainings/seminars available, contractual teachers who have rendered at least two continuous years of service may be recommended to attend.
- Specific Provisions
- Five-year old children in areas where there are no existing DepED Preschool classes shall be referred to enroll in a day care center;
- Preschool Service Contracting (PSSC) Program shall continue to operate in fifth and sixth class municipalities and in disadvantaged and relocation areas. The Division. Offices, however, must submit report to the Regional Office on the number of classes they need to organize on or before August 15 for endorsement to the Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE) before the end of August of every SY for funding purposes; and
- In the event that the maximum number of twenty five (25) shall not be met under the PSSC, itinerant teaching shall be applied. The preschool itinerant teacher can handle a certain number in the morning and another in the afternoon in nearby barangays without additional, travel cost.
- General Provisions
- Regular schools with preschool classes shall also accept children with special needs: gifted and those with disabilities. Report on enrolment shall indicate the disabilities of children enrolled for provision of appropriate teacher training.
- Preschool classes funded by the Local Government shall follow both the general and specific guidelines.
- Report on Preschool enrolment shall be submitted to the Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE) via e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org one (1) month after the opening of classes following the enclosed format.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 57, s. 2007; Nos. 19 and 49, s. 2008) Allotment: 1- -(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: