Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
Alt Others Concerned
- Pursuant to DepED Order No. 54, s. 2009 on the Revised Guidelines Governing Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs) at the School Level, the following shall be observed by public elementary and secondary schools every school year:
- The organization of Homeroom PTAs and election of their officers from among the parents/guardians shall be held within fifteen (15) days from the start of the school year;
- The election of the members of the Board of Directors (BOD) of the School PTA from among the elected Homeroom Presidents and Homeroom Advisers shall be held within thirty (30) days from the start of the school year;
- The election of the Officers of the School PTA from among the BOD members shall be on the same day of their election to the BOD;
- The election of Officers of the Municipal and City Federations of PTAs from among the Presidents of the School PTAs of all public elementary and secondary schools shall be held within forty-five (45) days from the start of the school year;
- The election of Officers of the Provincial Federations of PTAs from among the Presidents of the Municipal and City Federations, in case of component cities, shall be held within sixty (60) days from the start of school year; and
- Elections already conducted in accordance with the provisions of DepED Order No. 54, s, 2009 shall be valid for SY 2009-2010.
- At the start of every school year, the School Head shall immediately create and convene a six (6) member Election Committee (ELECOM) for the Homeroom and School PTAs by designating the following:
- two (2) teachers one of whom shall be the Chairperson and the latter shall vote only in case of a tie; and
- four (4) parent-members.
- The ELECOM shall have over-all supervision over the conduct of the elections of the Homeroom PTAs and direct supervision over the conduct of elections of the SOD of the School PTA and its Officers.
The ELECOM may promulgate and issue additional guidelines relative to the conduct of elections that are not inconsistent with this and other existing guidelines or which may hereafter be issued.
- Homeroom PTAs
The Homeroom Adviser shall have direct supervision over the conduct of election of the Homeroom PTA officers, which election shall be by viva voce.
The Homeroom PTA officers, namely, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Auditor, or other positions shall be elected from among the parent- members by a majority of those present during the election.
In case of a tie among two (2) or more candidates, a run-off election shall be immediately held only among the candidates involved in the tie until the tie is resolved. If the tie can not be resolved through a run-off election, the same shall be done by drawing of lots.
- School PTAs
The elected Presidents of the Homeroom PTAs and the respective Homeroom Advisers shall elect from among themselves the members of the BOD of the School PTA by secret ballot.
- The date and time of the elections of the BOD of the School PTA shall be set by the School Head taking into account the availability of all concerned provided that the periods herein are observed.
On the day of the elections, all elected Homeroom PTA Presidents and Homeroom Advisers shall gather in one place where the elections shall be held.
- No proxy of absentee voting shall be allowed.
- A voter can vote as many as ten (10) different parent-member candidates and as many as five (5) different teacher-member candidates to the BOD. However, only parents shall vote for their ten (10) parent-representatives to the BOD and only Homeroom Advisers shall vote for their five (5) teacher-representatives to the BOD.
In a single ballot, a vote for a particular candidate shall be counted only once. Any succeeding vote for the same candidate in the same ballot shall be considered void and shall not be counted for any candidate.
- In case of a tie involving two (2) or more candidates for the last position/s in the BOD, a run-off election shall be immediately held among the candidates involved in the tie for the remaining unfilled slot for the BOD. If the tie cannot be resolved through a run-off election, the same shall be done by the drawing of lots.
- The elected members of the BOD shall on the same day of their election, elect from among themselves the Association’s Executive officers, namely:
- Auditor or other equivalent functions
- A teacher-member cannot hold any position in the school PTA except as a member of the BOD or as Secretary.
- The term of office of the BOD and the officers shall be one year from the date of election or until a new set of BOD has been elected and qualified.
All duly elected PTA Presidents of public elementary and secondary schools in the municipality or city shall comprise the Municipal or City Federation of Parent-Teachers Associations.
All duly elected Presidents of the Municipal Federation of PTA and City Federation of PTA, in the case of a component city, shall compose the Provincial Federation of Parents-Teachers Associations,
- Elections of the Federations shall be facilitated by a Public Schools District Supervisor designated by the Schools Division Superintendent in the case of municipalities and the Schools Division Superintendent in the case of cities and provinces, who shall provide the venue and observe the periods herein.
The District Supervisor and Division Superintendent or any official of the Department shall only provide logistical support and coordination. They shall not participate in or interfere with the conduct of the elections.
- At the start of the meeting for the purpose of electing the Federation’s Board of Directors (BOD), the PTA Presidents present shall first organize their ELECOM for the purpose of conducting the elections. The elections shall be in secret ballot and no proxy or absentee ballot shall be allowed.
- In its discretion, the Municipal, City and Provincial PTA Federations may elect between five (5) to fifteen (15) members of the Board of Directors, which shall be odd in number, depending on the circumstances obtaining in the municipality, city or province.
Immediately after the elections of the Federation’s Board of Directors, the BOD shall elect from among themselves its Officers.
- In so far as practicable, the manner and process of the conduct of elections of the Homeroom and School PTAs shall be applicable during the elections of the Federations.
- After the elections of the BOD of the Municipal, City and Provincial Federations of PTAs, the respective BOD shall inform the designated Public School District Supervisor or Schools Division Superintendent through a letter or resolution of the list of duly elected Board of Directors and Officers, which shall be certified by the ELECOM. The Public Schools District Supervisor or School Division Superintendent shall officially transmit a copy of the letter or resolution to the Municipal or City Mayor or the Provincial Governor as the case may be.
- Pursuant to the Local Government Code of 1991, the duly elected President of the Municipal, City and Provincial Federation of Parents and Teachers Associations shall represent the Federation in their respective Local School Boards.
- All existing DepED Memoranda, Orders and other administrative issuances of similar nature which are inconsistent with this Order are hereby deemed repealed and superseded accordingly.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 54, s. 2009)
Allotment: 1—0.0. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects:
SOCIETY or ASSOCIATIONS