March 8, 2010 DO 21, s. 2010 – 2010 Census of Population and Housing
March 8, 2010
DO 21, s. 2010
2010 Census of Population and Housing
- Pursuant to Resolution No. 15 series of 2009 of the National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) and in compliance with Batas Pambansa Blg. 72 which provides for the taking of integrated census every ten (10) years beginning in 1980 in accordance with the plans prepared by the National Census and Statistics Office now the National Statistics Office (NSO), the National Census Coordinating Board (NCCB) hereby enjoins all agencies of the government to provide assistance to the conduct of the 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH) in May 2010, with May 1 as reference date.
- The 2010 CPH aims to provide the government planners, policy makers and administrators with data on which to base their social and economic development plans and programs. Specifically, the 2010 CPH aims to obtain a complete count of population and its size, composition, demographic characteristics, and geographic distribution in the Philippines; take stock of the housing units or living quarters in the country and their structural characteristics, available facilities and geographic distribution, collect other household and barangay characteristics. Relative to this, Administrator Carmelita Ericta of NSO requests assistance from the Department of Education (DepEd) for the successful operation of the 2010 CPH, for which a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) has been entered into by and between DepEd and NSO to achieve this end (Enclosure No. 1).
- In this connection, all DepEd regional and field offices are directed to provide the following assistance:
- Publicity and information drive through announcement of census undertaking in school activities: Parents-Teachers Association (PTA) meetings and others;
- Inclusion of lectures on the importance of census data for use in grade schools and high schools; and
- Use of available classrooms for the training of census enumerators and supervisors.
- More importantly, this CPH requires the services of about 60,000 field enumerators (ENs), 12,000 Team Supervisors (TSs), and 3,000 Census Area Supervisors (CASs) to complete the census operations in 23-day period. The conduct of enumeration of all households and institutions will begin on May 17 and will last for about 21 days.
- Batas Pambansa Blg. 72, Section 4, also provides that the Schools Division Superintendent (SDS) or in the case of provinces with more than one schools divisions, the SDS designated by the NCCB, shall be the Vice Chairman and the Provincial Statistics Officer (PSO) of NSO, the Executive Officer (EO) of the Provincial Census Board (PCB); the SDS of the city shall be the Vice Chairman of the City Census Board (CCB), and the District Supervisor (DS) shall be one of the members of the Municipal Census Board (MCB).
- In this connection, the Regional Directors are instructed to issue a memorandum relative to the assignments of their respective Schools Division/City Superintendents and District Supervisors in this coming 2010 CPH.
- NSO shall provide DepEd with allocation of required DepEd census personnel (EN, TS and CAS) at the city/municipality, or district level.
- SDS shall provide NSO with the list of available DepEd personnel who shall act as ENs, TSs and CASs at the city/municipality or district level, based on the allocation provided by the NSO.
- SDS shall submit to NSO a waiver and a list of areas where no DepEd personnel is willing to be assigned/deployed either as EN, TS or CAS due to peace and order problems and other valid reasons.
- SDS in consultation with the PSO of NSO shall designate the DSs as CASs in a city/municipality following the prescribed guidelines, that is, preferably residents in assigned city/municipality, preferably not more than 45 years of age and physically fit to travel.
- In the absence of a DS in the city/municipality or if the DS or principal would not qualify as CAS, as specified in Item No. 10, the next in rank DepEd personnel shall be designated as CAS in that city/municipality by the SDS, in consultation with the PSO of NSO.
- DepEd Division personnel who shall serve as CASs shall attend the 2010 CPH 3rd Level Training to be scheduled by NSO in April 2010 at the NSO Provincial Offices.
- DepEd Division personnel who shall be designated as CASs shall serve as trainers during the 4thlevel Training for ENs and TSs to be scheduled by NSO in April to May 2010 at various city/municipality training centers.
- All concerned DepEd personnel shall undertake the field work for the census starting on May 17, 2010 until the completion of their work in their assigned area but not to extend beyond June 12, 2010, unless otherwise justified as per evaluation of their immediate supervisor in their census work.
- Any DepEd personnel found negligent in carrying out his/her duties as specified in the 2010 CPH Supervisor’s Manual, or any trained DepEd personnel who shall refuse to render services without valid reason shall be dealt with appropriate administrative action to be set jointly by the DepEd and NSO.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance of this Order is directed.
Jesli A. Lapus
Jesli A. Lapus