May 17, 2010 DO 55, s. 2010 – Policies and Guidelines on Strengthening Science and Matematics Education at the Secondary Level
- Cognizant of the need to strengthen Science and Mathematics Education in the Philippines and in support of the 2010 Secondary Education Curriculum (SEC), the Department of Education through the Bureau of Secondary Education is providing financial subsidy to the following school types:
Type A are the one hundred ninety-seven (197) schools offering Special Science Classes which were formerly referred to as the Engineering and Science Education Program (ESEP) of the S & T Oriented High Schools, andType B are the additional six hundred (600) selected regular secondary schools that will establish one Special Science Class in each curriculum level
- The policies governing the delivery of Science and Mathematics education in the above-cited schools are stipulated in Enclosure No. 1, which focuses on the following:
- 2010 SEC and relevant provisions of the DepEd Order 41, s. 2004
- Organization of Classes
- Participation to the Program
C.4. Grading System
C.5. Selection of Honor Students
- Teacher Selection
- Instructional Materials
- Financial Assistance
- Course description of additional subjects
- Each of the 197 Type A schools shall receive PhP 300,000.00 from the total financial assistance to be appropriated and Type B schools shall receive PhP 83,000.00 also, from the appropriation for the establishment of Special Science Classes, both subject to the release of funds for the said purposes by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM). Enclosure 2 shows the allocation of funds by region.
- For Type A schools, the amount of subsidy shall be specifically used for the following:
Not to exceed 15% Maintenance and repair of previously owned science & mathematics equipment, computers and printers including Internet subscription and minor repair of laboratory rooms.
Not to exceed 10% Procurement of consumables for science and mathematics laboratories.
Not to exceed 15% Subsidy for student science researches/projects. Expenses for student researches shall be in the form of support to the conduct of science and mathematics investigatory
Not to exceed 15% Professional upgrading of Science and Mathematics teachers handling Special Science Classes, including attendance to seminars that are sponsored by DepEd.
Not to exceed 20% Participation to DepEd-sponsored Science activities.
- For Type B schools, the appropriation shall be used to augment the Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) of schools which shall be used strictly for the following activities of the Special Science Classes.
Not to exceed 25% Maintenance and repair of previously owned science & mathematics equipment, computers and printers including Internet subscription and minor repair of laboratory rooms.
Not to exceed 25% Procurement of consumables for science and mathematics laboratories.
- The heads of recipient schools shall submit to the Director, Bureau of Secondary Education, the physical and financial accomplishment reports pertaining to the utilization of the subject subsidy, copy furnished the Division and Regional Offices.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance to this Order is directed.
Mona D. Valisno