June 18, 2010 DO 82, s. 2010 – Reiteration of Related Implementing Guidelines on Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCADRR) at the School Levels
1. To support the government’s thrusts to safeguard, protect and conserve the environment in order to arrest the impact of climate change, this Department shall reiterate and revitalize the implementation of the following programs and projects in all schools at both levels effective SY 2010-2011 and onwards:
|Related Issuances on Programs/Projects||References|
|The School Inside a Garden (SIGA)||DECS Memorandum No. 77, s. 1995|
|Prioritizing the Mainstreaming of Disaster Risk Reduction in the School System||DepEd Order No. 55, s. 2007|
|Gulayan sa Paaralan||DepEd Memorandum No. 293, s. 2007|
|Planting of Malunggay Trees in Schools||DepEd Memorandum No. 234, s. 2008|
|Earth Day Celebration||DepEd Memorandum No. 65, s. 2010|
2. Specifically, the objectives of this revitalization are to:
- continue and sustain the implementation of SIGA;
- relaunch the Search for SIGA National Awards for SY 2011- 2012 onward;
- sustain the implementation of the environmental consciousness program among school children and to integrate Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction (CCADRR) in the school system;
- instill in the minds of every learner the responsibility to protect and conserve the environment; and
- make them ready to act responsibly on the effects of climate change and participate actively in reducing the risk caused by disasters in their schools and communities.
3. In addition, the concepts on CCADRR shall be integrated in lessons whenever and wherever possible. Please see core messages and concepts in the enclosure.
4. All Regional Directors are urged to implement these revitalized programs and projects by creating the Regional Technical Working Group (RTWG) involving selected Schools Division Superintendents or Assistant Schools Division/City Superintendents (SDSs/ASDSs) and Administrative Officers in the region. The composition of the RTWG shall be reported to the Office of the Secretary, Attention: Undersecretary for Teachers’ Welfare. The Report shall include a double implementation plan for three (3) years. The said RTWG shall also conduct a review of the implementation of SIGA from 1995 up to present. This will serve as baseline data in the preparation for the Regional Implementation Plan.
5. Likewise, the Central Office shall create the National TWG which shall monitor and evaluate the operationalization of the said Plan.
6. The Office of the Undersecretary for Teachers’ Welfare shall spearhead the revitalization of SIGA through the Director of Administrative Service, this Department. Likewise, the initiating, monitoring, and bringing this program to an effective implementation shall be looked into by the Directors in each region.
7. For more information, please contact Dr. Corazon Echano, Consultant, Office of Undersecretary for Teachers’ Welfare with telephone no.: (02) 631-5057 or cellphone no.: 0921-210-2610.
8. Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
Mona D. Valisno