July 1, 2011 DO 50, s. 2011 – Creation of Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Republic Act (RA) No. 10121, entitled “Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) Act of 2010” mandates all national government agencies to institutionalize policies, structures, coordination mechanisms and programs with continuing budget appropriation on disaster risk reduction and management from national to local levels. Using this RA as the legal framework, the Department of Education (DepEd) has constituted the DepEd DRRM Core Group composed of the Central Office Key Officials to provide a venue to discuss issues on DRRM and Education in Emergencies (EiE), to recommend policy actions, and propose programs/projects, which will mitigate and reduce the impact of disasters to DepEd teaching/non-teaching personnel/staff, learners and properties. Moreover, as a recommendatory body, the DepEd DRRM Core Group shall define clear structures, coordinate mechanisms and recommend policies on DRRM.
- To initiate and spearhead the establishment of mechanisms which prepare, guarantee protection and increase resiliency of DepEd constituents in the face of disaster, this Department shall create the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (DRRMO) to institutionalize the culture of safety at all levels, to systematize protection of education investments and to ensure continued delivery of quality education services. It shall serve as the focal and coordinative unit for DRRM-related activities. The DRRMO shall perform the following specific functions:
- act as the focal point for DepEd in planning, implementing, coordinating and monitoring of activities related to DRRM, Education in Emergencies (EiE) and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA);
- develop and recommend policy standards and actions to DepEd management on DRRM /EiE /CCA matters;
- initiate and coordinate cooperation and collaborative activities with the national government agencies (NGAs), non-goverment organizations (NGOs) and civil society groups (CSGs), inter-agency and cluster groupings such as National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) Technical Working Group (TWG), Education Cluster, Protection Group, among others, concerned with DRRM/EiE/CCA;
- develop and recommend policy actions to enhance the DepEd’s resilience to disasters;
- create and operate an Emergency Operation Center (EOC) which will serve as the Department’s operating and responding facility during disasters; and
- serve as the clearinghouse for all DRRM-related transactions including production and issuance of EiE/DRRM modules, distribution of school kits, and offering of emergency aid or assistance.
- The DRRMO shall be under the functional direction of Undersecretary for Regional Operations, who is also serving as designated Chair of the DepEd DRRM Core Group and the Education Cluster, an inter-agency, information sharing and advocacy body for resolving issues related to emergency education in nature. The DepEd shall engage the services of Project Development Officers (PDOs) on a contractual basis to serve as technical personnel/assistants in the DRRMO.
- This DepEd Order shall take effect immediately. All other existing Orders and/or Memoranda inconsistent with this Order are superseded and are therefore deemed rescinded.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: