July 5, 2011 DO 52, s. 2011 – Strengthening Environmental Education in Public and Private Schools
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/ City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- In view of the pressing global concerns and issues on the environment, the Department of Education (DepEd) urges all public and private schools to lead the role on environmental awareness by enhancing environmental education and by pursuing effective school-based activities that seek to preserve and protect the environment. This is in pursuant to Republic Act (R.A.) No. 9512, entitled “An Act to Promote Environmental Education and for Other Purposes.”
- Towards this end, all public and private schools shall undertake the following activities:
- Intensifying lessons regarding environment on all science subjects. Environmental concerns shall also be used as tools for classroom drills, discussions and activities and shall be taught and be integrated in the related learning areas;
- Encouraging the school administrators, officials and teachers to use various instructional materials such as books, visual aids, teaching guides and materials in making the students aware of the concerns and issues on the environment which shall promote students’ participation in environmental activities and advocacies and instill in their minds the need to preserve and protect the environment;
- Encouraging the teachers to attend lecture-seminars, workshops, conferences and other forums relating to environmental education which may be considered in their application for promotion;
- Establishing the Youth for Environment in School Organizations (YES- O) pursuant to DepEd Order No. 72, s. 2003 by all public and private elementary (Grades IV-VI) and secondary schools; and
- Establishing, registering, monitoring and evaluating the YES-0 and other related organizations, which shall be under the administration and supervision of the DepEd’s Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (CSCA); hence, regular reports shall be submitted by the CSCA to the Undersecretary for Programs and Projects, Undersecretary for Regional Operations and Undersecretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs.
- The Guidelines in the Establishment and Organization of Youth for Environment in Schools-Organizations (YES-0) is enclosed.
- The Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE), Bureau of Secondary Education (BSE) and Bureau of Alternative Learning System (BALS) shall integrate environmental education including issues and concerns in their review of existing curricula.
- This DepEd Order shall take effect immediately upon issuance.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
DepED Order: (No. 72, s. 2003) DepED Memorandum: No. 2, s. 2009
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: