October 5, 2011 DO 77, s. 2011 – Moving the Disability Agenda Forward
October 5, 2011
DO 77, s. 2011
Moving the Disability Agenda Forward
Schools Division / City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Pursuant to Article 24, 2.d of the United Nations (UN) Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, the Salamanca Statement on Inclusive Education and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Framework on Education for All (EFA), all children shall have access to basic education, within the general educational system, to facilitate their effective education.
- In order to move the disability agenda forward, the Department of Education (DepEd) in collaboration with the disability sector and stakeholder representatives, has organized the Advisory Council for the Education of Children and Youth with Disabilities (ACECYD).
- The Council shall have a high level engagement with the Secretary of Education by providing the official platform for constructive exchange and action planning. The ACECYD which will meet quarterly within the year with the Secretary shall be composed of eight (8) core members from different organizations. This core group shall be assisted by other disability sectors which shall be provided with observer status. The same status shall also be granted to international agencies like the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID), Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM), Lillianne Foundation and government agencies such as the National Council on Disability Affairs (NCDA) among others.
- From 2011 to 2014, the following core group members shall be making official representation with the Department on behalf of the disability sector:
Dr. Irma C. Coronel – Philippine Council of Cheshire Homes for the Disabled (PhilCOCHED)
Capt. Oscar Taleon – Alyansa ng may Kapansang Pinoy (AKAP-PINOY), Philippine Blind Union (PBU)
Mr. Richard D. Arceiio – Leonard Cheshire Disability Philippines Foundation (LCDPF), Inc.
Mr. Manuel V. Agcaoili – Philippine Foundation for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled (PFRD)
Mrs. Celia C. Garcia – Parents Advocate for Visually Impaired Children (PAVIC)
Mr. Randy Weisser – Resources for the Blind, Inc. (RBI)
Mrs. Carolyn C. Ui – LINK Center for the Deaf
Mrs. Felicite Jean Gonzales – Philippine Association of Citizens with Developmental and Learning Disabilities (PACDLD)
Mr. Raphael Domingo – Education Access for the Deaf
- The Council shall cover the following key areas for action:
- Supporting research studies which shall take in data collection, related reports and studies on inclusive and special education;
- Strategic planning which shall lead to a shortlist of consensus priorities for action; and
- Agenda for action which shall serve as the framework for collaboration between the DepEd and the disability sector and other stakeholders in providing education to children and youth with disabilities.
- For more information, please visit the Special Education Division, Bureau of Elementary Education (SPED-BEE), 2nd Floor, Bonifacio Bldg., DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City, or contact this Office at telephone no.: (02) 631-9933.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: