August 31, 2012 DO 72, s. 2012 – Continuing Fire Safety and Awareness Program (FSAP) In Schools
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- In the light of the recent fire incidents in several public elementary and high schools nationwide, and various reports from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) of violations to the Revised Fire Code of the Philippines (RA No. 9514) committed by schools, the Department of Education (DepEd) has felt an urgent need to conduct and implement the Continuing Fire Safety and Awareness Program (FSAP) in Schools to give priority attention to these concerns and be conscious about fire safety.
- The Program aims to promote awareness of fire safety and the importance of prevention and preparedness among school officials, personnel and staff, and pupils/students nationwide.
- The most common violations of schools as reported by the BFP are as follows:
a. Hazardous electrical wirings due to overusage, deterioration, and substandard installations;
b. Lack of markings for emergency exits, and the blockage of these exits with unused furniture, among others;
c. Absence of fire sprinklers, lack of fire fighting equipment/fire extinguishers, irregular servicing or non-maintenance of existing fire extinguishers that do not comply with ISO 9001-2008 series certified as preferably required to ensure the use of quality and non-ozone depleting products;
d. Inadequate provisions of outlets, which cause overload, particularly due to excessive connection of equipment/appliances via octopus outlet and other inappropriate extension; and
e. Non-organization of fire brigades and lack of preparedness for fire emergencies.
- Schools are directed to adopt/observe the fire safety and prevention measures contained in the enclosure. They shall coordinate closely with the LGUs and the BFP in the implementation of the FSAP.
- The School Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) may be utilized in the implementation of this Program.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: