September 28, 2012 DO 76, s. 2012 – Guidelines on Revitalizing Boy Scouting in Schools Nationwide
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Scouting with the Boy Scouts of the Philippines (BSP) is an effective co-curricular program in the leadership and value formation of every child. Its main objective is consistent with the Department of Education’s mission to develop every boy and every young man into well-rounded individual with exemplary character worth the emulation of school children. The BSP has consistently produced leaders and role models who are true advocates of the Scout Oath and Law.
- With its impressive track record on youth development, the Department of Education (DepEd) recognizes the significant role of the BSP in aiding the school system mold pupils and students into responsible and responsive citizens of the country and in contributing to efforts to achieve quality education. As a co-curricular program, Scouting helps stem away vices and bad influence of drugs and peers. As such, membership and participation in Boy Scouting and its programs, projects and activities should be highly encouraged and supported in the schools.
- In view of this, the DepEd supports the revitalization of Boy Scouting in schools nationwide in various areas of possible partnership and cooperation. As such, DepEd is issuing the following guidelines:
- 3.1 Promotion of Membership to the Boy Scouts of the Philippines
All DepEd officials and personnel are encouraged to be active members of the BSP. All public and private elementary and secondary schools, through their school principals/heads, are advised to promote membership to the BSP among pupils, students, parents and teachers at the start of the School Year.
- 3.2 Membership Fees
Membership to the BSP is voluntary and shall not be made a condition for enrolment, transfer or clearance of pupils and students. Membership fees and proceeds of fund-raising activities of the BSP shall be immediately remitted in full to the Boy Scouts of the Philippines Local Councils duly chartered by the National Office. No quota on membership shall be required.
- 3.3 Schedule of Membership Campaign
July Membership Campaign Month 1st Week “Linggo ng Scouting sa Paaralan” (Introduction) Local Councils with its officials shall pay a visit to all the schools in the area. Posters may be placed in designated areas and exhibits on the incoming programs, projects and activities may be mounted/posted on conspicuous places to attract membership. 2nd Week “Membership Campaign Period” (Orientation) 3rd Week Representatives of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines may be given time during meetings of the Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs) or any other institutional forums or meetings in the district, division or region where they can properly campaign for membership and conduct Scouting Orientation. They may also be allowed to conduct a brief classroom by classroom Scouting Orientation provided that the policy on non-disruption of classes is observed. 4th Week “Organization of Units” (Recruitment)
The schools may organize Scout Units of Kid, Kab, Boy, Senior and Rover Scouts. The application for Unit Registration, together with the corresponding payments, is made, forwarded, remitted and receipted at the Local Council.
August to November Membership Registration Period
The authorized membership fees are as follows:
- Scouts – PhP 50.00
- Unit Leaders – PhP 60.00
- Institutional Representatives/Coordinators – PhPl00.00
- Committee Members
- 3.4 Strengthening Quality Scouting Program
Officials of the DepEd are urged to actively contribute in the development and implementation of quality scouting program by vigorously promoting and supporting the Badge or the Advancement System offered by BSP.
- 3.5 Participation of DepEd Officials, Personnel and School Children in Scouting Activities
All DepEd officials, personnel and school children are enjoined to participate in Scouting activities such as jamborees, camps, competitions, trainings and conferences in the school, division, regional, national and international levels, subject to existing DepEd policies, rules and regulations.
- 3.6 Institutional Support
All DepEd officials and personnel are encouraged to support the BSP and its activities in whatever significant way possible.
- 3.7 Wearing of Scout Uniforms
Wearing of the scout uniform/neckerchief by duly-registered DepEd officials and personnel, including pupils and students, during official activities of the BSP and every Friday during school days is desired for visibility and image-building.
- 3.8 Service Credits, Other Credits for Awards Received and Trainings Attended and Other Incentives
The following issuances are hereby reiterated:DECS Memorandum No. 143, s. 1997 provides that service credits shall be granted for attendance in Scouting activities.DECS Order No. 106, s. 1998 provides for the revised rules on exemption of Scouts from the Citizens Army Training (CAT).
DECS Order No. 99, s. 1999 reiterates the granting of credits to awards given by the Boy Scouts of the Philippines.
DepEd Order No. 49, s. 2007 and DepEd Order No. 92, s. 2009 provide in part that awards and citations received and training conducted and/or attended relative to Boy Scouting shall be credited and considered for employment/promotion in DepEd or in the ranking of honor pupils of students.
- 3.1 Promotion of Membership to the Boy Scouts of the Philippines
- The Center for Students and Co-Curricular Activities (CSCA) is hereby designated as the Office-in-Charge (OIC) of all scouting matters in DepEd.
- All Regional Directors, School Division/City Superintendents and School Heads/Principals shall designate a Scouting Program Coordinator in their respective regions, divisions and schools. These Coordinators shall actively facilitate the conduct of membership campaigns, as well as other activities and initiatives of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines.
- All RDs, SDSs and SHs are authorized to formulate specific directives in accordance with this Order to ensure the revitalization of Boy Scouting in the schools.
- The BSP, Regional and Division Offices of the DepEd shall submit all reports that may be required by the Office of the Secretary to the CSCA, DepEd Central Office.
- All other issuances not inconsistent with this Order shall remain effective.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DECS Order: (Nos. 99, s. 1999 and 106, s. 1998)
DECS Memorandum: (No. 143, s. 1997)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: