December 5, 2012 DO 86, s. 2012 – Guidelines on Revitalizing Girl Scouting in Schools Nationwide
To : Undersecretaries
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) recognizes the significant role of the Girl Scouts of the Philippines (GSP) in producing remarkable and empowered women leaders through the realization of the ideals of womanhood and preparation for their responsibilities in the home, the nation, and the world community. As a co-curricular program in the schools, Girl Scouting offers meaningful opportunities where girls can discuss contemporary issues affecting them and initiate activities that respond to these challenges. The Girl Scouting program helps contribute to the eradication of illiteracy, the achievement of quality education, and social transformation. As such, membership and participation in Girl Scouting and its programs, projects, and activities should be highly and favorably encouraged and supported in the schools.
- In view of this, the DepEd promotes and espouses the revitalization of Girl Scouting in schools nationwide in various areas of potential partnership, cooperation, and collaboration.
- To revitalize Girl Scouting in all schools, the DepEd is issuing the following guidelines:
- Promotion of Membership to the GSP
All DepEd officials and personnel are urged to be active members of the GSP.
At the beginning of the School Year (SY), all public and private elementary and secondary schools, through their school principals/heads, are advised to promote membership into the GSP among girl-pupils and girl-students, parents, and teachers.
- Membership Fees
Membership to the GSP is voluntary and shall not be made a condition for enrolment, transfer, or clearance of pupils and students. Membership fees and proceeds of fund-raising activities of the GSP shall be immediately remitted in full to the GSP local councils duly chartered by the National Headquarters. No quota on membership shall be required.
- Schedule of Membership Campaign is as follows:
July Membership Campaign Month First week “Linggo ng Girl Scouting sa Paaralan” (Introduction)
Girl Scout councils, with its council and/or regional and/or national officials, shall pay a visit to all the schools in the area. Posters may be placed in designated areas and exhibits on the upcoming or continuing programs, projects, and activities may be mounted/posted in conspicuous places to attract membership.
Second week “Membership Campaign Period’ (Orientation) Third week “Girl Scouting Orientation”
Representatives of the GSP may be given time during meetings of the Parents-Teachers Associations (PTAs) or during any other institutional forums or meetings in the district, division, or region where they can properly campaign for membership and conduct Girl Scouting orientation. They may also be allowed to conduct a brief classroom-by-classroom Girl Scouting orientation, provided that the policy on no-disruption of classes is observed.
Fourth week Organization of Units (Recruitment)
The schools may organize Troops of Twinkler, Star, Junior, Senior, and Cadet Girl Scouts. The Membership Registration Form, together with the corresponding payment is made, forwarded, remitted, and issued a receipt at the GS Council office.
August to November Membership Registration Period
The authorized membership fees are as follows:
Girl Scouts (Girls) – P 50.00
Adults/Troop Leaders – P 50.00
Council Committee Member – P 50.00
Council Board Member – P 175.00
Council President – P 400.00
- Intensifying the Quality of the Girl Scouting Program
Officials of the DepEd are urged to actively contribute in the development and implementation of quality Girl Scouting program by zealously and vigorously promoting and supporting the Program of the GSP, specifically the Eight-Point Challenge, Badgework, Chief Girl Scout Medal, Pilar Hidalgo Lim Troop Achievement Award, Millenium Development Goals Campaign, Stop the Violence Campaign, and the Duke of Edinburgh Awards, among others.
- Participation of DepEd Officials, Personnel, and School Children in Girl Scouting Activities
All DepEd officials, personnel, and school children are enjoined to participate in Girl Scouting activities such as national contests/competitions, training and conferences in the school, division, regional, national, and international levels, subject to the existing DepEd policies, rules, and regulations.
- Institutional Support
All DepEd officials and personnel are encouraged to support the GSP and its activities in all or whatever significant way possible.
- Wearing of the Girl Scout Uniform
The wearing of the Girl Scout Official Business Uniform by duly-registered DepEd officials and personnel, including pupils and students, during official GSP activities and every Friday during school days is highly desired for visibility and positive image-building.
- Service Credits, Other Credits for Awards Received and Training Sessions Attended, and Other Incentives
The following issuances are hereby reiterated:
- i. DECS Memorandum No. 143, s. 1997 provides that service credit shall be granted for attendance in Girl Scouting activities.
- ii. DECS Order No. 106, s. 1998 provides for the revised rules on exemption of Girl Scouts from the Citizen’s Army Training (CAT); and
- ii. DECS Order No. 49, s. 2007 and DepEd Order No. 92, s. 2009 provide in part that awards and citations received and training conducted and/or attended relative to Girl Scouting shall be credited and considered for employment/promotion in DepEd or in ranking of honor pupils or students.
- Promotion of Membership to the GSP
- All Girl Scouting matters in the DepEd shall be handled by the Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (CSCA).
- All regional directors (RDs), schools division/city superintendents (SDSs), and school heads (SHs)/principals shall designate a Girl Scouting Program Coordinator in their respective regions, and schools. These Coordinators shall actively facilitate the conduct of membership campaigns, as well as other activities and initiatives of the GSP.
- All RDs, SDSs, and SHs are authorized to formulate specific directives in accordance with this Order to ensure and guarantee the revitalization of Girl Scouting in schools nationwide.
- The GSP, regional and division offices of the DepEd shall submit all reports that may be required by the Office of the Secretary to the CSCA, DepEd Central Office, DepEd Complex, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City.
- All other issuances not inconsistent with this Order shall remain effective.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DECS Order: (Nos. 92, s. 2009, 49, s. 2007, 106, s. 1998)
DECS Memorandum: (No. 143, s. 1997)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: