September 26, 2013 DO 44, s. 2013 – Moratorium on the Procurement of Supplementary Reading, Reference, and Other Instructional Materials (IMs)
September 26, 2013
DO 44, s. 2013
Moratorium on the Procurement of Supplementary Reading, Reference, and Other Instructional Materials (IMs)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) has an ongoing review of policies and guidelines relative to the procurement or provision of supplementary reading, reference, and instructional materials, including multimedia and computer software packages, which are referred to as instructional materials (IMs) for delivery to public schools.
- The review aims to ascertain that policies and guidelines related to the procurement of IMs are sufficient to ensure that:
- The IMs are the most appropriate for the priority needs of intended users of these materials;
- The prices of these IMs are reasonable that allow the government to optimize the use of limited public funds; and
- Transactions and procurement activities related to IMs are conducted in the most ethical and transparent manner.
- In this connection, pending completion of this review, there shall be a moratorium on the procurement of IMs until this issuance is rescinded or revoked. The moratorium includes projects and/or programs such as, but not limited to: School-Based Management, Preschool Education for All children (for regular children and children with special needs), Every Child a Reader Program (ECARP), Enhancement of English, Science and Mathematics Instructions, Special Programs (e.g., Special Education (SPED), Sports Regional Science High Schools, Engineering and Science Education Program, Multigrade Program, Mother Tongue-Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE), Gender and Development Program, among others). Notwithstanding separate guidelines that may have authorized the procurement of IMs using these Programs or Funds, this authority is hereby suspended during the effectivity of this Order.
- Furthermore, all DepEd officials are enjoined not to recommend and/or endorse the purchase of IMs using non-DepEd fund sources such as, but not limited to: the Special Education Fund (SEF); Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF); and other funds.
- This issuance also reiterates the pertinent provisions of DepEd Order No. 60, s. 2011 entitled Implementing Guidelines on the Direct Release of Maintenance and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE) Allocation of Schools to the Respective Implementing Units, Section to wit: To use for other mandatory expenditures except for the procurement of textbooks and other instructional materials, and school furniture and equipment.
- Projects and programs with exigent requirements may procure IMs only with the approval of the Secretary as Head of the Procuring Entity (HOPE) and in accordance with Republic Act (RA) No. 9184, otherwise known as Government Procurement Reform Act (GPRA).
- All relevant provision of existing DepEd Orders, Memoranda, and other administrative issuances inconsistent with this Order are hereby amended, revoked, and/or superseded. These include relevant provisions in the following DepEd issuances, among others:
- DECS Order No. 25, s. 1999 dated March 8, 1999 entitled Procurement of Instructional Materials;
- DepEd Memorandum No. 289, s. 2007 dated July 7, 2007 entitled Reiteration of the Moratorium on the Procurement of Suplementary and Reference Materials;
- DepEd Order No. 38, s. 2007 dated June 7, 2007 entitled Reiteration of Moratorium on the Procurement of Supplementary and Reference Materials;
- DepEd Order No. 52, s. 2007 dated August 3, 2007 entitled Addendum to DepEd Order No. 38, s. 2007;
- DepEd Order No. 112, s. 2009 dated November 13, 2009 entitled List of Approved Supplementary and Reference Materials;
- DepEd Order No. 119, s. 2009 dated December 21, s. 2009 entitled Additional Guidelines on the List of Approved Supplementary and Reference Materials;
- DepEd Order No. 61, s. 2010 dated May 18, 2010 entitled Corrigendum to DepEd Order No. 119, s. 2010; and
- DepEd Order No. 48, s. 2011 entitled Additional List of Supplementary Reading and Reference Materials.
- This Order shall take effect immediately. Any pending transaction that has not been obligated yet must be suspended and/or terminated.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
DepEd Order: (No. 60 and 48, s. 2011); Nos. 61 and 119, s. 2010; Nos. 112 and 119, s. 2009; 38 and 52, s. 2007; DepEd Order: No. 25, s. 1999; DepEd Memorandum No. 289, s. 2009
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: