April 23, 2015 DO 14, s. 2015 – Authorizing the Collection of Fees for the Legal Research Fund (LRF)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division Superintendents
Chiefs of Divisions
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepEd) recognizes the importance of Republic Act (RA) No. 3870 (An Act Defining the Functions of the U.P. Law Center, Providing for Its Financing and for Other Purposes) for the University of the Philippines (UP) Law Center to conduct legal research, law reform, and continuing legal education, among other purposes.
- Further, Presidential Decree (PD) No. 200 (Amending Section 4 of Republic Act No. 3870), and PD No. 1856 (Providing for the Financial Support to the U.P. Law Complex and Further Amending for this Purpose RA No. 3870, as Amended) mandate the collection of an additional fee of one percent (1%) for each filing fee imposed, but in no case lower than Ten Pesos (P 10.00) for the Legal Research Fund (LRF). These desired fees shall support the UP Law Center and the University of the Philippines Law Complex for its financing and other purposes.
- Since this Department acts on petitions or applications, papers or documents seeking official action to establish a status, a right, privilege or particular fact or command the performance of a duty, the Chief of Cash Division of the Central Office (CO) and its Regional Directors (RDs) are directed to collect additional fees from among the imposed fees listed in Enclosure No. 1 for the LRF.
- Further, as this Department exercises quasi-judicial functions and a filing fee of Three Hundred Pesos (P 300.00) is imposed on each appeal before the Office of the Secretary from the decision/resolutions of the RDs, the Chief of the Cash Division of the CO is hereby directed to collect from each of the appellants the amount of Ten Pesos (P 10.00) for the LRF in addition to the filing/appeal fee of Three Hundred Pesos (P 300.00), as provided under Section 52 of the enclosure to DepEd Order No. 49, s. 2006 entitled Revised Rules of Procedures of the Department of Education in Administrative Cases.
- The RDs and Chief of the Cash Division are further directed to deposit the collected additional LRF fees with the Bureau of Treasury for the account of the UP System, (UPS Agency Code A0823), Fund Code “187” pursuant to Treasury Circular No. 22-2008 and to submit a monthly report on the fees collected and remitted using the form in Enclosure No. 2 to the Office of the Undersecretary for Legal and Legislative Affairs, Ground Floor Rizal Building, Department of Education Central Office, Meralco Avenue, Pasig City, copy furnished the Office of the Dean, College of Law, University of the Philippines, Malcolm Hall, Diliman, Quezon City.
- More information on the New Procedure of Remitting Legal Research Fee (LRF) Collections can be inquired from the Law Center, University of the Philippines Law Complex through email address: email@example.com, telephone nos. (02) 920-5514 local 210-2012 or telefax nos. (02) 925-5855; 929-7137.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance of all concerned is directed.
(Sgd.) BR. ARMIN A. LUISTRO FSC
Encls.: As stated
Reference: DepEd Order: (No. 49, s. 2006)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: