July 24, 2009
DO 81, s. 2009
Strengthening the Implementation of Multigrade Program in Philippine Education
To: Bureau Directors
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Multigrade Education is one of the Department’s strategies to provide access to quality education for all school-age children in remote communities where enrolment does not warrant the organization of monograde classes.
- To address recurring issues in the implementation of DepED Order No. 96, s. 1997, “Policies and Guidelines in the Organization and Operation of Multigrade (MG) Classes” the following guidelines are issued:
- Strict implementation of Special Hardship Allowance for Multigrade Teachers as contained in Department of Budget and Management (DBM) National Budget Circular No. 514 dated December 5. 2007, “Guidelines on the Grant of Special Hardship Allowance” shall be observed;
- Teachers assigned shall be trained on multigrade instruction through a continuing standards-based professional development program managed by a core of division and regional MG trainers;
- The Bureau of Elementary Education (BEE) shall provide the Multigrade Training Resource Package (MG-TRP) and the Multigrade Teach-Learn Package (MG-TLP). The second contains lesson plans and pupils learning exercises in the different learning areas;
- A core of trainers (list enclosed) for the division-based training of MG teachers has already been organized and trained for this purpose. They will continuously provide training with financial assistance from the Bureau of Elementary Education;
- As much as possible, trained multigrade teachers shall not be transferred to another school within two years. All divisions are strongly encouraged to provide additional incentives for these teachers;
- Regular monitoring and technical assistance on the implementation of MG program shall be conducted at the division level. Monitoring report on the findings/results shall serve as basis for planning enhancement programs and policy formulation at all levels.