August 12, 2009
DO 86, s. 2009
Policies and Guidelines for the Government Assistance to Students and Teachers in Private Education (GASTPE) SY 2009-2010
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
DepED ARMM Regional Secretary
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Schools
All Others Concerned
- The Department of Education (DepED) is committed to implementing the Government’s support to private education, pursuant to Republic Act No. 8545 entitled, “An Act Amending Republic Act No. 6728, otherwise known as ‘An Act Providing Government Assistance to Students and Teachers in Private Education (GASTPE) and Appropriating Funds Therefor”.
- The GASTPE Program aims to decongest public secondary schools through the extension of financial assistance to deserving elementary school graduates who wish to pursue their secondary education in private schools. For SY 2009-2010, DepED shall continue to implement the Education Service Contracting (ESC) and the Education Voucher System (EVS). Further, beginning this school year, DepED shall implement the Teacher’s Salary Subsidy provision of the GASTPE law within the limits of its available budget. The details of this latter program shall be provided under a separate Order.
- The amount of the financial assistance in both ESC and EVS shall be as follows:
- National Capital Region (NCR) – The subsidy for 1st and 2nd year students in NCR shall be Ten Thousand Pesos (PhP10,000.00) per grantee for SY 2009-2010, while the subsidy for 3rd and 4th year students shall be Five Thousand Pesos (PhP5,000.00) per grantee for the same SY;
- Areas Outside of NCR – The subsidy for 1st to 4th year students in areas outside of NCR shall be Five Thousand Pesos (PhP5,000.00) each for SY 2009-2010.
- To promote efficiency in the operation of the Program, DepED is prescribing the adoption of the enclosed Policies and Guidelines for the GASTPE Program, SY 2009-2010 by all of its stakeholders, especially the participating private secondary schools.
- The participating private schools shall keep a copy of these Guidelines and make these available for immediate reference by the grantees and/or their parents.
- For inquiries and other matters, please feel free to relate with the DepED GASTPE Focal Units based at the DepED Central Office.
- All Orders, Memoranda and other issuances inconsistent with this Order are hereby revoked, amended and/or superseded.
- Immediate dissemination of and compliance with this Order is directed.
As stated Reference:
Allotment: 1—(D O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: