September 11, 2009
DO 94, s. 2009
Creation of a Regional Committee on Education For All (EFA)
Directors of Services, Centers and Heads of Units
Schools Division/City Superintendents
Heads, Public and Private Elementary and Secondary Schools
All Others Concerned
- As one of the signatories of the Dakar Framework of Action for the Education for All (EFA), the Philippines formulated its EFA Plan of Action and re-echoed the need for concerted efforts of all stakeholders from the national level to the local level for the attainment of EFA goals. EFA Critical Task No. 8 identifies the need for the creation of networks of community-based groups for local attainment of EFA goals.
- Pursuant to the principle of Grand Alliance espoused by the Dakar Framework, the Department of Education (DepED), other government agencies, international organizations and non-government organizations entered into a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) which identified their roles and functions in the implementation of Philippine EFA Plan of Action. This MOA serves as a legal basis for the establishment of Grand Alliance of these agencies at the national level (Enclosure No. 1).
- In order to create and/or replicate this Grand Alliance at the regional and local levels, the DepED Regional and Division Offices are hereby directed to immediately lead the mobilization, creation and organization of the Regional and Division (Sub-Regional) EFA Committee based on the enclosed Guidelines on the Mobilization/Organization of Sub-National Alliances for EFA (Enclosure No. 2). To ensure continuity of EFA work, the Regional and Division EFA Monitoring Teams created under DepED Order No. 27, s. 2006 shall take the initiative in ensuring that this task is accomplished.
- The Regional Committee on EFA (RCEFA) shall serve as the principal technical and administrative arm of the National EFA Committee in the Region in carrying out EFA-related activities. Specifically, it shall have the following generic functions:
- Coordinate the translation of the EFA Plan 2005 into region- specific sub-plans, taking particular note of the impact of other social sectors on the provision of Basic Learning Needs and how basic education can bring about social development;
- Review and endorse plans, programs and projects appropriate for the region;
- Ensure meaningful interface and complementation between school-based and non-school-based delivery of Basic Learning Needs especially on the role of culture and media in bringing about functional literacy;
- Initiate and coordinate the development, search for funding and implementation of basic education programs and projects;
- Coordinate the integration of plans and programs of local government units into regional plans and programs and ensure harmonization with the National EFA Plan;
- Undertake social mobilization and advocacy to ensure success and sustainability of the EFA Movement in the region;
- Provide timely and adequate feedback to the NEC through the National EFA Secretariat as regards to gaps and issues affecting policy and program implementation of Basic Learning Needs; and
- Perform other related functions as maybe assigned by the National Executive Committee Chair, with the approval of the Regional Development Council.
- To support the initial activities for the creation of Regional and Division EFA Committees such as orientation, information dissemination, social advocacy and marketing and for mobilization of other stakeholders in the implementation of the EFA start-up activities in the region. The DepED Central Office has programmed for the year an amount of Two Hundred Thousand Pesos (PhP200,000.00) per region for this purpose. The DepED Regional Offices will be responsible for the utilization and liquidation of the said fund and shall provide quarterly report to the Office of the Secretary and EFA National Secretariat under the Office of the Undersecretary for Regional Operations with regards to the implementation of this Order.
- For inquiries and technical assistance, the Regional and Division Offices may contact Ms. Miriam N. Coprado or Ms. Erlinda A. Sevilla, EFA National Secretariat at tel. no.: (02) 633-7256.
- Immediate dissemination of and strict compliance with this Order is directed.
Encls.: As stated
Reference: DepED Order: (No. 27, s. 2006) Allotment: 1—(D.O. 50-97)
To be indicated in the Perpetual Index under the following subjects: